Can't connect to Shared Folders on macOS

• So my family wants to transfer over music files back and forth on my OMV RPi3 and they're able to do that using sftp and FileZilla however, they want to be able to mount the music shared folder on the server in Finder. I was able to do that with my father's Macbook by just having him connect to the server by entering the private IP of the OMV server which is located in the same house, but when they open Finder > Go > Connect to Server, and enter in the public IP or the domain name (using DuckDNS) into the hostname field prefaced with smb://, they still can't connect. I have SMB/CIFS enabled, the music folder is under shares and is enabled, it is browseable, and guests are allowed. What am I missing? How can I do it? Is there a port I have to forward? Is there something I have to do under smb/cifs?

• Routing SMB/CIFS over the public internet is a terrible idea, so much so that many ISPs block the ports used by the protocol - UDP ports 137 & 138 and TCP ports 139 & 445. If your ISPs (both ends) allow it you can try forwarding those ports, but be advised this is dangerous from a security aspect and your server could be compromised.

If you really must do this, set up a VPN and tunnel the traffic that way.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Routing SMB/CIFS over the public internet is a terrible idea, so much so that many ISPs block the ports used by the protocol - UDP ports 137 & 138 and TCP ports 139 & 445. If your ISPs (both ends) allow it you can try forwarding those ports, but be advised this is dangerous from a security aspect and your server could be compromised.

If you really must do this, set up a VPN and tunnel the traffic that way.

After posting I just read that SMB/CIFS is not secure, so I think they're gonna have to sick with SFTP and Filezilla. Out of curiosity how do I tunnel the traffic through a VPN?

• A VPN connects both private networks together using the internet. This makes machines on the other end of the tunnel appear as if they were on their own LAN.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!