Dell T430 worth it?

• Hi

i have an option currently to get a 2014 Dell t430 server which otherwise is off to a recycling company, its spec is 16gb of 2133 ddr4 ram, Intel Xeon E5-2609 . PERC H330 Integrated RAID Cont roller. ran out of warranty in 2018

does anyone know if the perc H330 can be flash so it acts as a sata card instead as i use software raid.

if i go for it this would be a replacement to a hp N40L is it worth it.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

does anyone know if the perc H330 can be flash so it acts as a sata card instead as i use software raid.

https://forums.servethehome.co…ps-hba-it-firmware.25498/

if i go for it this would be a replacement to a hp N40L is it worth it.

Definitely faster and more expandable but will most likely use more power. Good server otherwise.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• https://forums.servethehome.co…ps-hba-it-firmware.25498/

Definitely faster and more expandable but will most likely use more power. Good server otherwise.i

i dont know much about power comsuption any ideas how much more it would use i dont want to start racking up massive massive bills since i run my omv server 24/7.

if you had the choice what would you do? just felt my n40l is getting on abit now i think it was 2010 or 2012 they came out.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

i dont know much about power comsuption any ideas how much more it would use i dont want to start racking up massive massive bills since i run my omv server 24/7.

Well, the N40L is using a 15W TDP laptop cpu. The E5-2609 is an 80W TDP server cpu. Just because the TDP is a lot higher doesn't mean it will idle a lot higher but it will be higher. Hard to say what it but I would guess it would be around 70 watts.

if you had the choice what would you do? just felt my n40l is getting on abit now i think it was 2010 or 2012 they came out.

Depends on what you do with your server. The power consumption is higher but it is a MUCH more capable server. You would have to weight the pros and cons against power cost. Personally, I would go for the T430.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Well, the N40L is using a 15W TDP laptop cpu. The E5-2609 is an 80W TDP server cpu. Just because the TDP is a lot higher doesn't mean it will idle a lot higher but it will be higher. Hard to say what it but I would guess it would be around 70 watts.

Depends on what you do with your server. The power consumption is higher but it is a MUCH more capable server. You would have to weight the pros and cons against power cost. Personally, I would go for the T430.

all I do currently is use it a storage Nas for my films and TV. And odd other bits using automation tools in docker and a unify controller.

Was only thinking about it due to getting worried the n40l is getting on and has no expansion capabilities any more. I keep getting errors requiring a reboot a couple of them actually to come back online I thought it was the drive so changed the os drive for a fairly new ssd and was better but it fell over the other day not sure if it's the esata to SATA cable failing

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Went for it to have a play with at least. I've ran through the guide above and flashed the card so I think it should work as expected.

Need to find some of the Dell drive caddy's though didn't released it only had 2 from the posted slots the rest are blanking plates.

How would the move over to new hardware go would the os drive need a new install or would it work plugged stright into the Dell from the hp.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Offizieller Beitrag

would it work plugged stright into the Dell from the hp.

Most of the time, you can just move the drive and then run omv-firstaid to fix the networking.

• Most of the time, you can just move the drive and then run omv-firstaid to fix the networking.

Will have a play about with it before I do anything like I say got to get the drive caddy's first. Plus way I have the system set up on portainer stacks can set the system up again quickly.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• Hi

So ive moved my system over to this the raid is fine now ive flashed the raid card to ITMode

however im getting an issue where i find the server dell bootup screen saying its holted due the watchdog timer resetting the system and it wants me to press a key to continue the first time i brushed it off but its happening every couple of days, i dont know if this is the dell hardware or if its the OS, before i moved over to the hardware i was running OMV as a test on a mechanical drive and this never did this during the time i had it running it sat for about 2 weeks but it didnt really have any activity was jut turned on and running and i was messing about with dockers i havent used before.

the only changes ive made to the hardware was changing the bios to UEFI which i did a fresh install onto the SSD because of this.

any suggestions as its driving me mad at the moment. as since it does this and i then tell it to continue to boot the server boots and the dockers start faster then the FS so the config doesnt load for the dockers so they all start blank till i reboot again where it picks everything up.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!