Installing for OMV 5 on Odroid HC2

• I have an Odroid HC2 that I needed to upgrade to OMV5, but the upgrader broke Docker so here are the steps I went through to clean install:

1. Download Buster_Legacy from https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/Buster_legacy
    2. Use the guide here to page 13: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…lling_OMV5_on_Armbian.pdf
    3. Type ip addr and see what is the network card name for your Odroid, you will need this next. For example eth0
    4. run armbian-config and go into Network and Advanced and add the following, changing the IP range to your network range:
      • auto eth0
      • iface eth0 inet static
      • address 192.168.0.10
      • netmask 255.255.255.0
      • network 192.168.0.0
      • broadcast 192.168.0.255
      • gateway 192.168.0.1
      • dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
      • dns-domain mydomain
      • dns-search mydomain
    5. Hit Tab and choose Save, then Back.
    6. Now go to Personal and set up your Time Zone, locale, keyboard and hostname, etc.
    7. Finally go to System, Firmware to update the firmware, then System DTB and change to Odroid HC1/HC2. Your machine will reboot.
    8. You should now be able to login to 192.168.0.10 on your network. Type systemctl stop NetworkManager and apt purge NetworkManager.
    9. Create a /root/resolv.conf with a single line of nameserver 8.8.8.8, delete the /etc/resolv.conf then cp /root/resolv.conf /etc to replace it.
    10. Now your Odroid will be able to resolve properly, proceed to the installation of OMV5 (page 14)
    11. Before you reboot, remove the /etc/resolv.conf and copy it from /root to ensure you have DNS set up when your machine comes back. Then reboot.
    12. You can now log into your web interface on 192.168.0.10

Once you have added your drive, shared it and added users to share with Samba, go to the terminal and type smbpasswd -a username for each user you have added, this will create the Samba users that Windows 10 needs to share, for without this step, you will be going round in circles wondering what to do, like I did.

Since the Odroid HC1 and HC2 are headless, and the OMV5 installer removes NetworkManager and dhcpd, the interface won't come back after a reboot unless you set it static. Once NetworkManager is no longer controlling the DNS, systemd-resolverd takes over and makes an even more of a hatchet job of DNS, so you need to delete the resolv.conf and replace it to break the symlink to systemd-resolverd or it will simply replace it whenever it feels like it and nothing will install or update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since the Odroid HC1 and HC2 are headless, and the OMV5 installer removes NetworkManager and dhcpd, the interface won't come back after a reboot unless you set it static. Once NetworkManager is no longer controlling the DNS, systemd-resolverd takes over and makes an even more of a hatchet job of DNS, so you need to delete the resolv.conf and replace it to break the symlink to systemd-resolverd or it will simply replace it whenever it feels like it and nothing will install or update.

Yes, the install script removes network manager but it replaces it with netplan (systemd-networkd). And systemd-resolved works just fine. I'm not sure why your system is having a problem with it unless your dhcp server isn't supplying a dns server. DNS isn't required to get the web interface working.

So, a lot of your steps shouldn't be necessary (yes, I installed on armbian with the script A LOT). Switching from network-manager to netplan/networkd does make most routers give out a different IP address but that isn't that hard to deal with.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, the install script removes network manager but it replaces it with netplan (systemd-networkd). And systemd-resolved works just fine. I'm not sure why your system is having a problem with it unless your dhcp server isn't supplying a dns server. DNS isn't required to get the web interface working.

So, a lot of your steps shouldn't be necessary (yes, I installed on armbian with the script A LOT). Switching from network-manager to netplan/networkd does make most routers give out a different IP address but that isn't that hard to deal with.

I think I've figured out why DNS didn't work, I set the router to send the Pi Hole IP address as the DNS server, it was odd that for both NetworkManager and netplan didn't set a resolv.conf though.

• Hi there.

I've had a similar problem. I wanted to do a clean install of OMV5 in an HC2 so I followed the guide and ended up without ssh connectivity to my box; it showed up in the DHCP binding list in my router though.

So I have installed the Armbian image again and I was pondering if I should try again when I found this. I too have PI-hole on my network!

When you say, ryecoaaron

Zitat

a lot of your steps shouldn't be necessary

do you mean that some of them indeed are necessary?

I have seen that in armbian-config/Softy you can install OMV, is that installer any good o better?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you mean that some of them indeed are necessary?

I didn't compare them exactly to what is in the guide but the guide should be all you need. For my test a little bit ago, I wrote the armbian image to the card, plugged it in my HC2, ran the wget command to run the latest script and everything worked as expected.

I have seen that in armbian-config/Softy you can install OMV, is that installer any good o better?

It is the same because softy downloads my script and executes it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Indeed it worked!

I just removed from the router my pi.hole configuration, rebooted the HC2, run the script and it worked flawlessly. Thank you very much.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!