Odroid HC1 OMV boot failure

• I've had a OMV system on my Odroid hC1 running armbian stretch for about a year or so with no problems. I've done updates every now and then without hickups. But now about a week after the last updates the HC1 wont boot again, it just died and restart won't work. The blue indicator is always lit which indicates that the kernel isn't running. It isn't visible on the LAN and I can't connect via ssh.

I've confirmed that the HC1 is OK as it can run other configuration i have on a different SD card. I've checked the SD card for bad sectors, but it seems OK. I copied the SD card to another and that won't work either.

as a HC1 is headless I don't know how to troubleshoot. The problem is I have a few dockers running on this HC1and I would like them to work again. I guess most important is my Nextcloud docker as it contains my household's photo collection. I know i probably can start from scratch but if there is a way to save this system I'd like to try that.

so what are my options? Bare in mind that I am pretty novice on linux.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you boot from your backup sd card?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Can you boot from your backup sd card?

I can boot from the backup I made a year ago just after I got OMV up and running. I can’t boot from the copy of the current SD card.

I’m afraid that I have no other backups as I mixed up the SD cards overwriting the only more recent backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well...your data disk should be okay. The files are still there. Just don’t format it when you start over

• Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance but the HDD only contains the photos. I guess they are safe unless I format it but the rest of the data is as far as I know stored on the SD card.

Is there a way to find out why it’s not booting right now? Can I get to any log files showing clues to what is wrong? I’d rather try to fix it before I start over.

I have a computer running Fedora, can I somehow get to the SD card’s logs to look for the problem with that? I know Windows can’t read the SD card.

Usually I can read my way through the Internet to solve problems on my linux servers but right now I’m stuck not knowing what to look for.

• You can copy the data from the card on your Fedora computer.

Do you think a solution would be to do a fresh install of OMV on a different SD card and just copy the permanent data folders for my docker containers from the old card to the new? Or would that trigger a lot of permission problems?

I was trying to go through the logs to find the reason for everything to fail and not boot but clearly I don’t know what I’m looking for. There are so many logs everywhere...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you think a solution would be to do a fresh install of OMV on a different SD card and just copy the permanent data folders for my docker containers from the old card to the new? Or would that trigger a lot of permission problems?

If you use the same users and create the same users in the same order so that they have the same UID, this should work. And you have nothing to loose, just try ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!