swapping Mobo and CPU

• hi guys , I have a OMV 4 built on a PC with Intel cpu..

I am planning to replace this with a new ryzen cpu and compatible motherboard .

my question is, once I plug in the boot drive etc and start the system, will I need to reinstall the OMV setup? or will the hardware change not impact my current setup?

thanks in advance

• Usually it goes well. You will definitely have to run omv-firstaid on the new system to setup networking since the network adapter is changing. If the current intel system is bios and the new ryzen system requires EFI, that will be a booting problem that isn't easy to fix.

omv 5.5.1 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.3.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• hi

the current Intel system is on a MSI B250M Mobo which is uefi , not sure if this is what you meant ?

and the swap will be with a ASRock b450 hdv also uefi.

I understand that a similar change of Mobo on windows usually requires the OS to be reinstalled. so with OMV I could use the existing setup as is with just use firstaid to setup networking ya?

• the current Intel system is on a MSI B250M Mobo which is uefi , not sure if this is what you meant ?

and the swap will be with a ASRock b450 hdv also uefi.

Yep. Your boot drive will have the necessary partition and grub setup to boot from uefi then.

I understand that a similar change of Mobo on windows usually requires the OS to be reinstalled. so with OMV I could use the existing setup as is with just use firstaid to setup networking ya?

Linux is MUCH better because it isn't locked to hardware and will detect the new hardware just fine. I have moved installs to other systems many times. The only reason omv-first is needed is because the network adapter's mac address changes. So, the install will think it is a new network adapter.

omv 5.5.1 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.3.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!