Should you resize root partition on flash?

• So the flash memory will die eventually to writes.

There is an option to extend the root partition to the whole flash card size. Will this help to redistribute writes? Or otherwise?

Thanks for help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is the flashmemory plugin which is significantly reducing the writes to the SD card.

As far as I know it does not matter how large the partition is. The controller of the SD card will level the writes to the complete available flash.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Get a mirror?

Most likely you installed software in a way that means that flash is being used for storage. For instance docker app data with metadata databases for media servers.

You should create a share on the hard drive and use that instead.

There should be no need to resize partitions on the SD card. If you feel a need, then you are doing something very wrong. However the worst(?) that can happen, I assume, is only that the card fail prematurely and you may lose all data on the card. You can buy a new card, right?

Even if you only have a 8 GB partition on a 64-128GB card, that is perfectly fine. Leave the unpartitioned parts unpartitioned. Wear leveling will make use of the whole card.

• Honest suggestion after having usb key or SD cards dieing: install OMV on the cheapest SSD you can find (64/128GB) and stop worring about it.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

install OMV on the cheapest SSD you can find

That’s fine if you are using an AMD-64 machine and don’t mind sacrificing a SATA port.

• That’s fine if you are using an AMD-64 machine and don’t mind sacrificing a SATA port.

I have an AMD-64 machine and I didn't sacrifice a SATA port. I put the OMV 2.5in 16GB SSD into an external USB case and plugged into a USB port.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

:huh: I didn’t think of that.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!