nmbd errors syslog

• I have my system stable with 8 HDs running well. But I noticed that Syslog is filled with 100s of lines on the attached screenshot. Does anyone know what is wrong ?

many thanks

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what the IP address is for your server (OMV) - but it appears that a client may be trying to use OMV as a NETBIOS "WIN'S server."

The first thing I'd want to know is which client is using the IP address 192.168.1.138. If you find it, turn it off, and clear OMV's syslog. Since you're getting requests every second, you should know quickly if this client is responsible.

On the server side, I don't know if this will help but:

Under Services, SMB/CIF, in the Settings tab, I have WINS support enabled and Local Master Browser disable.

• thanks for your reply.

.138 is a workstation (client) on the network.

.180 is the OMV server

I have WINS support disabled because it is not needed.

Do you know what the problem could be?

many thanks

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Hello,

facing more or less the same problem with tons of lines in syslog written by nmbd. The strange thing is that wins is disabled and that the local master browser option tab is no more present in the gui. I'm quite sure it's enabled looking at the logs. Has the tab been removed recently? I'm on armbian buster

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

anyone know what is wrong

It's the name response, I get nmdb queries on my network but I know why and where it's from but your line query on subnet 192.168.1.180 for name the name is gobbledygook you need to check the Domain name settings under OMV's network.

• awesome. I had left the filed empty because I did not need domain name. This must have caused the errors.

thanks for the tip.

btw: do you know why i need this domain name or where this domain name is used?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

btw: do you know why i need this domain name or where this domain name is used

Technically it shouldn't because it should also just as the default local, however I forgot that there is a Workgroup setting in smb/cifs this also needs to be added.

So my workgroup is called home, therefore every windows pc has that setting, home is added to network domain name and to workgroup under smb/cifs.

In my syslog the line is the same as yours but yours returns gobbledygook whereas mine returns home, but I know it's my kodi box querying the server.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!