Cleanup Failed Plex Installation

• I've just moved from OMV3 to OMV5 so I'm completely new to the concept of Docker and Portainer. I installed Docker and Portainer using the instructions in the PDF guide here. That all went fine. First cab of the rank was to Plex Media Server. I followed the technodadlife video here . It pretty much made sense as I was doing it. I hit the deploy button and waited, it ran for hours.. I thought it my be indexing my media as part of the install, so I left it.. When I woke up this morning my system drive was full... It seems like Portainer made over 300 images and that has consumed all my disk space. I can see in the Portainer GUI I can delete the images, is there anything else that needs to be done to cleanup before I reattempt the exercise?

Once cleaned up is there a way to workout what I did wrong? a log file or the like? The only variations I had from the video was using multiple media volumes for movies and also adding a transcoding folder which wasn't in the docker parameters list (but was in the video)..

• The pics you posted are not legible.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once cleaned up is there a way to workout what I did wrong

gderf is the plex man on here, but looking at the second image it appeared to get stuck in some sort of loop I assume after you hit deploy container and it continued to download the image, that's unique not seen that before.

But, another option is to use stacks on portainers menu, if you go to docker hub for linuxserver/plex scroll down to docker-compose copy that from version: to restart: and paste it into the stack window, give the stack a name and edit the compose to match your needs then click deploy stack, this will download the image and create the container based upon the settings in your stack.

• As geaves already wrote, you can use the stack window in portainer and put the next compose-file in the web editor window and modify to your needs:

When deploying the stack, the container should run in a few minutes (not hours).

kr.,

Frepke

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• Thank you. I thought about this previously and saw it in a different thread. I don't understand the syntax for the volumes. How do specify the Plex library and the path in the same line? is it

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/TV_Shows/:/tv 
  • Your question is answered in the documentation that is published for every popular docker image.

Look at the docker-compose examples.

Copy, paste, edit, deploy.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you. I thought about this previously and saw it in a different thread. I don't understand the syntax for the volumes. How do specify the Plex library and the path in the same line? is it

Code

Thats correct.

When you browse in Plex you find the folder tv, this points to the folder /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vo10/TV_Shows/ on your NAS

• Thank you I deployed it ok.

one more question, Can I have more than one folder on my shared disk pointing to the same Plex library i.e.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/OLD_Shows/:/tv

if so what is the best way to modify the config in the container?

in the old version of plex I could do this from the PLEX web client but now I see the only available folders are the ones I put in the coffig file..

• I don't know. I personally point just to one folder which contains different types of media.

In your case the volume would be: - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/:/media. In Plex you can make a library TV-shows where you can point to multiple folders.

You can add /media/TV_Shows and /media/OLD_Shows.

In the docker-compose file you've to put only one volume.

edit:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/TV_Shows/:/tv

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol0/OLD_Shows/:/tv_OLD

is also an option I think

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

just change whatever is after the : to whatever you name it.

/srv/../OLD_Shows:/old_tv_shows This would make the directory show in plex as "old_tv_shows"

• just change whatever is after the :, to whatever you name it.

/srv/../OLD_Shows/old_tv_shows This would make the directory show in plex as "old_tv_shows"

Excellent! I thought the part after the : had to be fixed folder name for plex... that's easy then

Whats the easiest way to make those updates in my container config using portainer?

• Excellent! I thought the part after the : had to be fixed folder name for plex... that's easy then

Whats the easiest way to make those updates in my container config using portainer?

I think you've to click on your container in "Containers", then duplicate/edit, now you can modify your settings and afterwards deploy again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Excellent! I thought the part after the : had to be fixed folder name for plex... that's easy then

Under most circumstances, no. Some containers will require certain folders to run properly... but something like Plex where it's just looking for a folder to scan for data... it's not an issue.

Edit: As far as changing it. You can click on the container name, then one of the buttons at the top should say "Edit"... go to that, and then the volumes tab, and make your adjustments.

Someone above mentioned using stacks, so if you used stacks, just edit the stack and click save, and it should deploy with the changes (i know this is works, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it's set up in the portainer UI, and I'm not near my server)

• Someone above mentioned using stacks, so if you used stacks, just edit the stack and click save, and it should deploy with the changes (i know this is works, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it's set up in the portainer UI, and I'm not near my server)

Yes I finally used the stack method and that went smooth so i'll go the route of editing the stack. It seems fairly intuitive :)

• Yes I finally used the stack method and that went smooth so i'll go the route of editing the stack. It seems fairly intuitive :)

That was actually super easy. I stopped the container. Edited the stack with the web editor, clicked save and bingo.. The container was up running and all my changes were available from Plex so all good. Thanks for support, its taken a bit time to get used to the concepts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That was actually super easy. I stopped the container. Edited the stack with the web editor, clicked save and bingo.. The container was up running and all my changes were available from Plex so all good. Thanks for support, its taken a bit time to get used to the concepts.

All of these folks freaking out about not having plugins anymore (I see folks on reddit say all the time they will never upgrade 4 because they don't want to use docker.. yeah lets see how that goes)... If they would just take even a few hours and sit down and apply themselves to getting familiar with docker.. they'd wonder how they ever ran a server without it. I only really adopted docker about a year ago... I put it off forever.... now... it is absolutely the first thing I look to when wanting to add a service to my nas.

Docker-compose is intimidating at first, but with stacks.. it makes it pretty darn easy if you're not comfortable in the command line. A few months ago I reinstalled from scratch and had docker compose files ready to go for all my services. From install on bare metal, to all my services up (total of 15 containers), it was right around 90min as I recall.. and probably 10min of that was setting up the nextcloud docker, as I do it "the hard way". Still considerably faster than setting up plugins, etc..

Keep at it and post questions when needed.. pretty soon you'll feel like a pro at it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!