OMV on Raspberry Pi and 5.4.42 kernel

• Hi everyone! I just noticed that RPI kernel was bumped to 5.4.42. has anyone been using that kernel with OMV and a Raspberry Pi?

Is there any concerning thing I should keep in mind before upgrading ?

(other tha an SD backup of course)

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That kernel was just released two days ago. So, probably not many people running it yet. Upgrading my system now and trying the 2020-05-27 raspbian buster lite image now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just a note, I thought the kernel was in the repo. Not sure why you need the 5.4 kernel but if you want the most stable system, avoid running rpi-update. Once the 5.4 kernel is the default kernel, it will be in the repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• HI, i actually need an updated kernel to solve the macvlan issues already highlighted in other threads and have been forced to run the rpi-update to have a kernel version that solves it.

That has been annoying me a bit bc I know i should not be running untested kernel on a regular basis.. every updates makes me shiver :)

I have a "test" RPi to try some functionality out and report if I found any issues.

• Ok, i run a apt-get upgrade  on the "test"rpi3 on which I 've run rpi-update previosuly, and the kernel was bumped to 4.19.118-v7+.

Is this normal? I was expecting it to go to 5.4.42, perhaps I was wrong.

so fare everything is working ok..

Will try in the afternoon to upgrade the RPi4 (not previously updated with rpi-update).

• Offizieller Beitrag

That has been annoying me a bit bc I know i should not be running untested kernel on a regular basis.. every updates makes me shiver

If you need an ultra stable NAS, an RPi should not be your first choice.

Will try in the afternoon to upgrade the RPi4 (not previously updated with rpi-update).

Since I know many more will do this, I updated an RPi4 to the 5.4 kernel. Seems fine so far.

• If you need an ultra stable NAS, an RPi should not be your first choice.

let's say I'm more looking for a compromise : won't' look for trouble going regularly installing the latest firmware and kernel with rpi-update but also want some functionalities and i'll wait for them to be properly fixed int he stable branch.

Since I know many more will do this, I updated an RPi4 to the 5.4 kernel. Seems fine so far.

did you do it with rpi-update? or is the 5.4 in the official repository by now?

• Offizieller Beitrag

did you do it with rpi-update?

Yes

or is the 5.4 in the official repository by now?

No. 4.19 is still in the repo and the new 2020-05-27 raspbian buster lite image is still using the 4.19 kernel. I can't imagine the macvlan issue requires the 5.4 kernel. I realize it might need a change to the 4.19 kernel though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!