[SOLVED] LSI MegaRAID Setup for RAID

• Good afternoon to everybody.

I just built this NAS:

- Fractal 804

- MoBo Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

- AMD Ryzen 3700x

- 32GB RAM DDR4 3.200MHz Corsair Vengeance

- Bewinner PCIe card SATA SAS 8 port (exactly this --> https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07V47G4VB/)

- 1x 250MB SSD NVMe (I installed here OMV5)

- 3x 6TB HDD 3,5" (1x SAS, 2x SATA)

HDDs are directly connected to the SATA card by specific SAS or SATA cables.

PCI card's WebBIOS (LSI MegaRAID) detects all of the 3,5" physical disks, I did not build any virtual disk / RAID array because - if I'm not wrong - I'd like to build and manage RAID arrays in OMV (if needed, this tutorial shows how to do it with WebBIOS)

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Issues

#1 - The NAS startup is very slow (a couple of minutes) because the MegaRAID BIOS tries (and fails) to detect virtual drives. Can I avoid this somehow?

#2 - Section "Disks" in OMV does not detect any of the 3,5" disks connected to che PCI card, so I can't wipe/mount them and I can't build RAID arrays also

Surely this happens because I'm a newbie...

Can you help me, please ?

• If you don't need the RAID capability of the card look into flashing it with IT mode software and if possible do not flash the boot BIOS section.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You'll need to visit the card maker's web site and see if they have the program that is needed to flash the firmware and obtain the proper IT mode firmware for the card.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I looked into this a bit further. From what I have read your LSI 9260-8i card can not be flashed with IT mode firmware, so it will do on card RAID only. Your desired use case will require using another card.

I run an LSI 9200-8e card in my machine. It has external connectors (not what you need you would want a card with internal connectors). It has no on board RAID capability at all, it just passes the attached disks straight thru to the OS.

There are a lot of cards that will work for you, even many of LSI's RAID cards that can be flashed with IT mode firmware, just not the one you have.

I suggest contacting a reputable vendor who will work with you and ship to your country. One might be below. Try contacting them.

https://www.ebay.com/str/theartofserver

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

While the 9260 cannot be flashed in IT mode, you can create single drive raid 0 arrays if you must use that card.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Solved changing my previous 9260-8i card (OEM by Bewinner) with a genuine LSI 9211-8e from eBay.

Thank you so much.

Thanks also to @yecoaaron (I think I could have been flashing the previous 9260 card for weeks...)

• LSI 9211-8e? That has external connectors. Does that fit your use case?

--

• That'll work.

I have an LSI 9200-8e in my OMV. It connects to another PC case that only has disks and a power supply in it.

--

• mbinax

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • mbinax

Hat den Titel des Themas von „LSI MegaRAID Setup for RAID“ zu „[SOLVED] LSI MegaRAID Setup for RAID“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!