OMV Emergency Mode Data Disk Failure

• Hello all, I need help.

One of my data disks failed and results in OMV5 booting into emergency mode. Ctrl-d will not start default mode.

So I connected a KB and Monitor and logged in, removed disk from snapraid per instructions, removed entry to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml mntent for the disk.

Omv-salt deploy run fstab fails with 'base:omv.deploy.run.fstab.15unionfilesystems' failed: Jinga variable list object has no element 0

I cant figure out how to change the unionfs configuration from cli.

There is no web GUI as system keeps going into emergency mode, no ssh either.

Can anyone help on whats steps to do next please. I have removed the disk, I can put it back in but its just clicking away and does not start.

Thanks in advance

• Disregard the above request for help.

Fixed by editing /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and removing all references for the drive, unionfs pool, and shares sections as well and then ran omv-salt deploy run fstab.

System is back up and I was able to remove the drive from snapraid in GUI (was showing up as fixed)

• System is back up and I was able to remove the drive from snapraid in GUI (was showing up as fixed)

Keep an eye on the reports SnapRAID makes when you run a sync. It may puke because there is now a disk missing. And deleting a disk in the GUI alone is not enough to fully remove it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Keep an eye on the reports SnapRAID makes when you run a sync. It may puke because there is now a disk missing. And deleting a disk in the GUI alone is not enough to fully remove it.

Thanks gderf, I had already run through the snapraid instructions to remove the disk and running the following after pointing to an empty disk:

Code
    snapraid sync -E

after this I updated the the /etc/snapraid.conf file.

Should I look our for anything else?

• Hi,

How did you solve your issue, and rebuild your data.

I Have exactly the same problem now. I had 5 x 6TB disks, and one of them failed.

I replace disk physically, I was expecting gui would ask me to do something like freenas, but there is no gui and I can't run omv-engined...

I found out link below and it says like I can change the entry and have gui but I don't want to ruin my files.

Code
    in the /etc/fstab file, i was looking at the physical drive entries not the mergerfs entry. under the mergerfs entry it did not have the "nofail" option. Once i added that it behaved as expected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenMediaVault/comments/fq5e31/mergerfs_drive_failure/

I Just checked,

All my disks has "nofail" option, still I can't reach gui.

Code
     >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/ZParityDisk          /srv/dev-disk-by-label-ZParityDisk      ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/TAS1         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS1     ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/TAS2         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS2     ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/TAS3         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS3     ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/TAS4         /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS4     ext4    defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl  0 2
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS1:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS2:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS3:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS4         /srv/f12c8f45-ad24-49b7-98fc-f60b898b8a83       fuse.mergerfs   category.create=mfs,minfreespace=100G,fsname=TASLIEL:f12c8f45-ad24-49b7-98fc-f60b898b8a83,defaults,allow_other,cache.files=off,use_ino,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS1,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS2,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS3,x-systemd.requires=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-TAS4      0 0
    # <<< [openmediavault]
  • phborg thanks for quick reply, I'm at office so I'll try to do in the evening.

(you were right, after I added nofail it worked as expected. Sure without failed disk :) )

But I don't want to loose data because I've photos and there is no other copy. My only chance is snapraid.

I wanted to ask how to get my data back.

First I'll add nofail

Than I'll log on omv and mount my new disk

than what ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!