Docker Swarm / Pi-Hole

• Hi all,

I was trying to instal pi-hole using a youtube video on OMV5/Docker. Didn't get very far but on the video it says to run a command: docker swarm init

But now I can not access the portainer interface - says connection refused. Any ideas?

So I can continue with pi-hole installation.

• Yes I did reboot. In the end I removed docker swarm and decided to install pi-hole on a separate Pi.

For me, I just find adding stuff to OMV5 via Docker is too diffcult.

I currently have plex, logitech media server, pi-hole (now abandoned) and urbackup installed on OMV5. Only urbackup is working and that is only because you (geaves) and others helped me a lot to get that up and running a while back.

• Offizieller Beitrag

install pi-hole on a separate Pi

That's how I have mine, complete with unbound

Look at the guide for Plex here however, you can bypass the first part and use stacks, create a stack called Plex, copy that compose file (the bit in code) and paste into the stack, then edit the settings for your use. The great thing about using a stack is that you can change settings if the container throws any errors by simply stopping the container and editing it's stack then deploy it again and the changes will be initiated

• please use my guide ( see on signature).

• That's how I have mine, complete with unbound

Look at the guide for Plex here however, you can bypass the first part and use stacks, create a stack called Plex, copy that compose file (the bit in code) and paste into the stack, then edit the settings for your use. The great thing about using a stack is that you can change settings if the container throws any errors by simply stopping the container and editing it's stack then deploy it again and the changes will be initiated

Thanks geaves. I should have said that I got Plex to install OK via Portainer but it just wont claim my plex server (tried it with the Plex_claim and without it). Did all other kinds of troubleshooting exercises but to no avail. Will try the plex guide you mentioned but I think the issue is more a plex thing rather OMV.

Regarding unbound, I'm curious as not heard of this. I went to the website to read about it but still not sure what it does in connection to pi-hole?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks geaves. I should have said that I got Plex to install OK via Portainer but it just wont claim my plex server (tried it with the Plex_claim and without it).

Do a search on the here that Plex claim has come up before, I don't use it so can't suggest what to try.

Regarding unbound, I'm curious as not heard of this. I went to the website to read about it but still not sure what it does in connection to pi-hole

Documentation here I have mine running under Diet-Pi and it just works, use this to test performance your Pi-Hole should come out on top

• please use my guide ( see on signature).

Thanks within the stack there is a /transcode volume that needs to be setup. Just want to understand the storage implications whilst transcoding. For example, can I set up a transcoding folder alongside my 32GB SD card 'AppData' for Docker or do I need to setup a bigger hard drive?

Do the files in the transcoding get deleted once the movie has finished etc?

• OK I think I need to spend a bit more time researching this but quick question is this kind of a replacement for using Open DNS etc?

Thanks for that link! I'm pretty new to all this. Just recently bought a RPi4 and installed OMV5+Docker Swarm/PiHole and ran that DNS Benchmark.

Results "System nameserver is faster than ALL public alternatives, 100% reliable, returns errors and replies to all query types" - Sweet!

Thanks for the guides!

• I've got pihole using version 3 working on swarm mode and it doesn't seem to have effected my version 2 containers as I read (not sure if its correct, that in swarm mode version 2 wont work but version 3 will and vice versa).

I just want to know if there is any noticeable issues with using swarm mode as I only intend to use swarm to run both version 3 and version 2 docker containers?

• Is there a reason running pi-hole@docker?

My pi-hole is running fine direct on my OMV hardware, just moving OMV to Port 81and you are done.

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Not sure I follow. I am using the pihole docker as stack which is version 3. But it needs to be in swarm mode, which then means all of my dockers on version 2 wont work.

in the end, I followed the DBTech video of installing version 3 stacks directly on device rather than through portainer. I got pihole to work (at least the interface) but something is still wrong with it as I get this error on the logs?

Pihole does not work when I switch over my router to the pihole device - I lose internect connectivity.

Code
    FTL version is v5.0 (Latest: v5.0)
    [cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] done.
    [services.d] starting services
    Starting crond
    Starting pihole-FTL (no-daemon) as root
    Starting lighttpd
    [services.d] done.
  • Zitat

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Follow this link. It worked like charm when I tried yesterday.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!