Networking in VMs with cockpit

• I can't seem, for the life of me, to get the network from the virtual machines in cockpit to bridge themselves to my LAN and get a real, true, ipaddress. I don't even know where to navigate to create "vnet0". I know debian dropped support for virtual-box, but this whole cockpit solution has been buggy as best (IMHO) Maybe theres some additional pointers you all can give me as far as expectations from cockpit?

Any help is welcome.

Thank you :S

• networknanny

Hat den Titel des Themas von „FASTLed very simple question“ zu „Networking in VMs with cockpit“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

know debian dropped support for virtual-box, but this whole cockpit solution has been buggy as best (IMHO)

I think buggy is the wrong word. Not fully setup by default and really designed for RedHat's OSes (because they own it), is really the issue.

Maybe theres some additional pointers you all can give me as far as expectations from cockpit?

I have been able to get networking just fine when creating a new virtual network against a single NIC. I don't have a way to test a bond though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok. Well, if you could I'd love to know your settings for your VM that would be awesome. From my fresh install it never worked out quite right, the system would get internet, but it was not exposed to my actual network. Rather stuck in the VM's Virtual network.

During all of my troubleshooting I was able to get it working properly by using "direct" and just using an extra port I had, but then, obviously that means a whole other networking cable for the rig and plus the bridge is ideal anyway.

I've done quite a few fresh installs of OMV5 as well. Any other pointers for what settings should be changed to make it a little more "out of the box" friendly?'

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have docker installed by any chance? docker makes firewall changes that will block networking to kvm as well.

Any other pointers for what settings should be changed to make it a little more "out of the box" friendly?'

Settings for?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• So, I do have the intention of using docker: however at the current moment I’m running a fresh install of OMV with the bare minimum set up just to see if I can get the VMs working.

Not fully setup by default

This is what I meant when I was referring to additional “set up” for cockpit.

Another 2 things I noticed that I had a question about:

1. When I was able to get PiHole running and accessible though the network (through that ‘direct’ connect method I mentioned earlier) I kept getting issues with the DNS service crashing anytime it started: Wasn’t sure if that’s related to any blocking done by OMV (I saw on some posts there’s some DNS related issues with VMs but I believe that was also fixed by installing the package when installing cockpit)

2. From my understanding, you personally run OMV in ProxMox, correct? I’m thinking about just running it in ProxMox, then just spinning up a whole VM for pihole with all the complexities. The only thing holding me back really is the reliability & speed of the RAID once it’s thrown into a virtual environment, and the performance hit by the overhead of ProxMox. I’m running on a Ryzen 3900x.

Thanks again for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I was able to get PiHole running and accessible though the network (through that ‘direct’ connect method I mentioned earlier) I kept getting issues with the DNS service crashing anytime it started: Wasn’t sure if that’s related to any blocking done by OMV (I saw on some posts there’s some DNS related issues with VMs but I believe that was also fixed by installing the package when installing cockpit)

OMV shouldn't be blocking anything in a VM. Not sure what is the problem there.

From my understanding, you personally run OMV in ProxMox, correct? I’m thinking about just running it in ProxMox, then just spinning up a whole VM for pihole with all the complexities. The only thing holding me back really is the reliability & speed of the RAID once it’s thrown into a virtual environment, and the performance hit by the overhead of ProxMox. I’m running on a Ryzen 3900x.

Yes, I run OMV in proxmox on multiple systems and have for years. I think pihole in a separate VM would work well.

I wouldn't run raid in a VM. I have configured raid on the proxmox host and then create a virtual hard disk for the VM. No speed or reliability issues there especially on a Ryzen 3900x. Proxmox doesn't have anymore overhead (very little) than OMV with cockpit installed.

• Ok then I’ll probably be going through with ProxMox for everything. Forgive me if I’m wrong but ProxMox seems like a very robust product compared to OMV? But then again from what I understand as well OMV5 was a major update.

Off topic but: Do you have any recommendations for the best distro just for running something simple like Pihole? Was thinking about using the Ubuntu Mini.iso and just installing Ubuntu server, but then I’ve seen things like Lubuntu and LiteLinux but I’m genuinely not sure which would use the least system resources, actually I’m not even sure what I should allocate for each one. They of course have their minimum requirements, but I’m not sure those would suffice for something as simple as PiHole or if it would need more resources.

I’ll post an update once I get it up and running just for the sake of the thread & anyone else looking this up.

Thanks again for all the assistance. It’s very appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Forgive me if I’m wrong but ProxMox seems like a very robust product compared to OMV?

OMV 5.x and Proxmox 6.x are both Debian 10 (proxmox does use the Ubuntu kernel though). So, I would say they are equally robust. The two web interfaces do completely different things. But OMV is developed by one person. Proxmox is many people (more than 10) and is a commercial product. Proxmox is also very defined on what it does - virtualization. OMV is extensible with plugins to do many things. So, it will feel more stable just for that reason. I have no problems with either.

Do you have any recommendations for the best distro just for running something simple like Pihole?

My current pihole systems are minimal headless server installs of Ubuntu 18.04.

but then I’ve seen things like Lubuntu and LiteLinux but I’m genuinely not sure which would use the least system resources,

Lubuntu only uses less resources than Ubuntu if you have a desktop environment installed. I would not use a desktop environment on my pihole system.

They of course have their minimum requirements, but I’m not sure those would suffice for something as simple as PiHole or if it would need more resources.

Pihole was designed to run on an RPi. It uses dnsmasq for most things. So, the system needs very little resources. A VM with 512M ram and 1 or 2 vcpus is more than enough to run it.

• Lubuntu only uses less resources than Ubuntu if you have a desktop environment installed. I would not use a desktop environment on my pihole system.

I actually wasn't aware of that, Thanks for the info.

Currently getting Proxmox installed up and running.

Being amazing at knowing linux as you are, do you have any comments on running a VM with rancheros for docker vs just using OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you have any comments on running a VM with rancheros for docker vs just using OMV?

I run all of my important dockers in one VM (very minimal ubuntu 18 server right now) on proxmox.

• I have exactly the same issue, but I do not have any extra port.

I think the main problem is that cockpit expects us to use NetworkManager instead of systemd-networkd.

I don't know what to do.

If anyone can help me, thank you.

• Well, I solved my issues using proxmox and I couldn't be happier.

Proxmox simply put: Just works.

I'd advise anyone who's having similar networking issues, and doesn't have the time or hell, maybe even the patience and just wants things to 'work' to try out Proxmox. It's got it's own learning curve too, but once you've got that down, the really cool thing is your set for any vm you feel like spinning up. Very low impact on the system as well!

Thank you again @ryecoaaron

If anyone can help me, thank you.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear probably, but honestly try proxmox.

• networknanny

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • I just install the proxmox kernel from OMV-extra and reboot.

Then my ethernet interface was moved to NetworkManager. So I was able to use the cockpit network interface to configure the bridge and it work.

Thanks.

• I just install the proxmox kernel from OMV-extra and reboot.

Then my ethernet interface was moved to NetworkManager. So I was able to use the cockpit network interface to configure the bridge and it work.

Thanks.

How did you create the bridge?

I believe I'm using the proxmox kernel (Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.4.44-2-pve) and I can do stuff in cockpit but I cannot create the bridge there and I'm guessing that you didn't either. Did you create it on the command line or somewhere in OMV?

• How did you create the bridge?

I believe I'm using the proxmox kernel (Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.4.44-2-pve) and I can do stuff in cockpit but I cannot create the bridge there and I'm guessing that you didn't either. Did you create it on the command line or somewhere in OMV?

I'm looking for a solution to this too.

I was looking for an "easy" way to run a vm on omv, and cockpit would fit the bill if it worked, but I'm running into this same network bridge issue...

• Hi, I am also having difficulties to bridge my (only) eth adapter to the VM I created.

How should the config be in network section?

This is the only way I get a nic working, I can even ping out of the VM, but there is no route to the VM.

How can I bridge and get an IP from my router?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!