RAID on raspberry pi with quad sata

• Hi everyone,

First of all, big thanks to everyone as I've always found a solution for my problems on the forum.
    Exept for this one...

I've just received my rock pi quad sata hat so happy I could try out a RAID 5 configuration. I had trouble seeing all my 4 drives (4 HDD 2.5" 1To each) but with the help of the forum I finally succeeded.

Now here is my problem : when I try to create a RAID device, none of the hard drive appears on the devices panel. I can see them when I click on disks, and they even appear in the SMART panel. The only difference I see in the SMART panel is the status of 2 of the hard drive is grey instead of green and temperature is N/A. This is weird to me as all the drives are the same size and brand.

I'm not sure what information would be useful but I'm eager to give you some output.

Hope we'll find a way around this.

• Same problem here. This is not USB devices. It's a SATA HAT on the RPI4.

Actually the Quad Sata Rockpi kit is specifically intended for that kind of setup.

Did you find a solution?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is not USB devices

Yes it is, where or how do you believe the hat communicates with the Pi.

Actually the Quad Sata Rockpi kit is specifically intended for that kind of setup

No it is not, it allows you to connect 4 drives via a sata connectors.

It uses a JMS561 which is a sata to usb bridge.

You can set up a raid via the command line have a look on youtube there are plenty of 'gurus' on there who will use a Pi in a raid config.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the HAT is not intended for this kind of setup it's yet what they suggest on their wiki

"A complete NAS solution" does not imply a Raid, you can setup a Pi using a single drive, it's still a NAS.

This where new users fall down, they assume that a NAS uses a Raid setup by default and that's thanks to the number hardware nas systems in the market.

• Hi all,

I'm also a noob trying to get this Quad SATA HAT working. I have ran all the updates and fixes and finally able to see all 4 drives. I can go into omg dashboard and select file system then create and see my 4 drives but that is the only place other than disc where they show up. When I go into the raid management I can't see them at all. so I used Mdadm and created manually a raid 5. It shows it was setup and working but OMV is still not seeing the raid.Do I have to wait for the raid to finish setting up before it will see it or is there something else I need to do? Man has this been a journey !!!! any help would be greatly appreciated and please list all commands that I need to use.I did it but I have no idea how I got this far :)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mdadm -D /dev/md0

/dev/md0:

Version : 1.2

Creation Time : Tue Sep 1 13:13:28 2020

Raid Level : raid5

Used Dev Size : 1953382400 (1862.89 GiB 2000.26 GB)

Raid Devices : 4

Total Devices : 4

Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue Sep 1 13:14:10 2020

State : active, FAILED, Not Started

Active Devices : 3

Working Devices : 4

Failed Devices : 0

Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric

Chunk Size : 512K

Consistency Policy : unknown

Name : raspberrypi:0 (local to host raspberrypi)

UUID : b7bb823c:056187f9:d29e867e:8295c2b6

Events : 2

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State

- 0 0 0 removed

- 0 0 1 removed

- 0 0 2 removed

- 0 0 3 removed

- 8 32 2 sync /dev/sdc

- 8 0 0 sync /dev/sda

- 8 48 3 spare rebuilding /dev/sdd

- 8 16 1 sync /dev/sdb

pi@raspberrypi:~ $

• Offizieller Beitrag

so I used Mdadm and created manually a raid 5

Why? did you actually read any of this thread before posting? If you need to post output from the cli then use the </> on the menu it keeps the formatting, the above makes no sense, and where did you find the snippet of information to create the array.

BTW, creation of a raid on OMV using USB is not supported

• I got burned by this as well. On the wiki it does say that the device

"Support software RAID 0/1/5" in it's list of features, but I take it that this isn't actually true if you want any kind of reliability. Wish I'd seen this before I wasted my money.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As mentioned before in this thread, you can still create a RAID with USB devices from CLI.

But be aware that there is a reason why it has been disabled to create RAID for USB devices from the GUI of OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

take it that this isn't actually true if you want any kind of reliability. Wish I'd seen this before I wasted my money.

Individual drives are just as reliable as the board. If you need some kind of uptime better than one drive, you shouldn't be using an arm board. There is nothing highly available about these boards. Raid doesn't help that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This must be the biggest gaffe of the year. I bought 3 x 2TB HDD from amazon. These have micro b to USB connectors so I tried plugging directly on RPi4. Then I realised it has power issue so bought a USB hub. Now I see you cant use USB to set up a RAID system.

I was already struggling to access/login network drive on windows. It works sometimes and it doesn't. I tried disabling the firewall, setting up FTP and sometimes it picks up. I was using OMV 6, which was installed using wget -0 command on RPi. Anyway, that's a story for another day.

I am in a bit of a pickle now, hopefully, I can return £150 worth of HDD.

Happy New Year!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!