MYSQL on OMV 5.0

• Hi there.

Have just upgraded my Odroid HC2 to to OMV 5 and noticed that there appears to be no plugin for MYSQL.

On OMV 4, I used MYSQL to share watched/resume status between my various Kodi clients:

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL - this page suggests that MariaDB is more common nowadays.

What are my options, now? I have been looking around this forum and it is suggested that there will be no-such SQL plugin for OMV 5.

Should I install MYSQL or MariaDB on my server, directly?

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Perfect - thanks for clarifying (I have just read, on another one of your answers on another thread, that MYSQL and MariaDB are the same - that clears up a lot of issues that I may have run into!).

I think I am going to install MariaDB directly onto my server - I spent some time, a while back, trying to get to grips with Docker but never got on with it.

• Try using the images of linuxserver.io and Portainer as GUI for Docker, might make things a little easier and visual.

More straight forward: docker-compose.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Hmmmm - hadn't realised that Portainer existed as well.

I like to think of myself as being pretty good with computers, but anything involving Docker just confuses me - no matter how much I read about it, I just cannot seem to understand the benefit of it over a regular plugin.

Try using the images of linuxserver.io and Portainer as GUI for Docker, might make things a little easier and visual.

More straight forward: docker-compose.

If I am not ever sure, exactly, what this means, do you think I should probably not mess around with it?

• Putting your services in container offers you so much more flexibility and comfort. You can easily update a version, create a copy and mess with it without harm; use a version you want despite the depecies between the service an the host system. You can control access of network or even isolate a container.

It's worth putting a litte effort into it.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Hi,
    I am totally with Riff-Raff but always has the same practical problems than elsmandino, cause my servers CPU (where i have OMV) is not compatible with Debian´s docker (something that uses OMV as backend engine).
    I tried like 2 times with different OMV versions, and failed on both of them, unfortunately.

I believe i will be able to test docker once i move my server to new and newer HW

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,
    I am totally with Riff-Raff but always has the same practical problems than elsmandino, cause my servers CPU (where i have OMV) is not compatible with Debian´s docker (something that uses OMV as backend engine).
    I tried like 2 times with different OMV versions, and failed on both of them, unfortunately.

I believe i will be able to test docker once i move my server to new and newer HW

Well just saying.. "I failed" doesn't help troubleshoot the problem

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!