TrueNAS SCALE: Debian with ZFS

• Hi everyone,

I just read this news about TrueNAS. They're making a new version based on Debian that it will natively support ZFS!

https://www.ixsystems.com/comm…ject-truenas-scale.85203/

Now my question is: since they are able to do that, do you think that the licences issues of linux and ZFS are solved thanks to OpenZFS 2.0 ? In that case, there is any hope to see ZFS natively supported by OMV?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• To start, I don't think this is really a competitor to OMV since it is a multi-node, very large product.

I don't think they have solved the license issue since the license hasn't been changed. I think they are going to do something similar to Canonical/Ubuntu.

omv 5.5.6 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.3.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know that TrueNAS and OMV aren't really competitors. they aim for different targets of users.

The biggest question is if with both Canonical and TrueNAS shipping a distro with ZFS included it means that everyone will be able to do that.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I know that TrueNAS and OMV aren't really competitors. they aim for different targets of users.

TrueNAS Core and OMV are competitors. I was just saying their Linux offering is not a competitor.

I don't feel like holding out my head for a license violation and its consequences.

I am quite sure Proxmox and Canonical would be having problems by now. And "shipping" with the distro means it would be on the ISO. If it was downloaded once the plugin was installed (like it is currently), I don't see how this is outside the license.

omv 5.5.6 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.3.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!