Sanity check: Migrating OMV to a Proxmox VM

• I'm preparing to migrate my OMV environment which is currently running by itself on a physical machine to a Proxmox VM.
    My current setup is using an SSD for the OMV installation and 4 hdds. I have 3 of those in a pool using the Union Filesystems plugin and I'm also using the SnapRAID plugin with the 4th hdd as a parity drive.

From what I've read so far, here is the process I'm planning to follow:
    1) Use Clonezilla to create an image of my existing OMV installation.
    2) Use the image created to create a VM in Proxmox.
    3) Move the 4 hdds to the new server
    4) Passthrough the 4 hdds to the OMV VM (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm)
    5) Boot the OMV VM and run omv-firstaid to fix networking.

Can I please get a sanity check on this? Am I missing anything? Would this work or will I need to re-do the mergeFS and snapRAID configurations?

Thanks!

• probably you are past that step already, but I already did the very same during the weekend and mergerFS and snapraid work without any issues. however there is one thing to consider: it seems to be possible to run OMV in an LXC container instead of a VM, utilizing the host kernel with much less CPU overhead. currently I am looking into this further how to convert the existing VM into an LXC.

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• How did you guys moved it? Any "complete noob" steps you can recommend? I tried cockpit to run VM but no luck, so many problem, so going to do proxmox so I can run other instance for linux for learning purpose.

• You don't "move" it.

1. Install Proxmox on bare metal

2. Create VM for OMV and install it on Proxmox

When I migrated I also changed to a new box, so I had very little downtime. Just during the time it took to move the data drives to the new box and get them added into OMV.

• I'm no expert but I would think containers could be moved? I have OMV running in a VM on proxmox, and my VPN (wireguard) is running in a discrete VM on proxmox. Also have another VM for the DNS server (pihole). I like having the other services separated from the NAS server.

• its surprisingly easy. i have used omv-backup plugin previously to regularly back up my omv installation via fsarchiver method.

so basically what i did:

1) installed proxmox on a new drive

2) created a virtual machine for OMV with a blank 64 GB HDD and passed trough the drive containing the omv-backup to it

3) booted up systemrescue cd on the OMV VM

4) used this guide to restore the fsarchive backup to the new disk

5) passed trough the original disks to the OMV VM

6) booted up the OMV VM and set up networking over omv-firstaid

everything is working, but i am getting an mdadm error during boot like described here RE: mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically haven't looked very deeply into that for now

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Hi,

Sorry to revive a slightly old topic but I'm currently looking to migrate my current OMV install over to a Proxmox VM. I currently have a 2.5inch SSD with OMV installed and then three 8tb hard drives in a ZFS pool (using the Proxmox kernel) with all my data stored on it.

I was wondering if the ZFS implementation from OMV is plug and play with Proxmox and therefore when I format my boot drive and load Proxmox and then subsequently install OMV, that Proxmox will rebuild the ZFS pool natively without me having to pass the drives through to OMV and therefore meaning I won't loose my data?

Given the amount of data I have stored (and that I'm not planning on buying new hard drives) I don't have enough space on local PC's and hard drives to transfer the data off my zfs pool, format the drives, create a new ZFS pool and transfer the data back.

Regards,

Ravi

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering if the ZFS implementation from OMV is plug and play with Proxmox

Yes, it is. Especially if you are using the proxmox kernel with OMV. In that case, they are identical.

load Proxmox and then subsequently install OMV

Nope, can't do this. Proxmox and OMV have conflicting dependencies. You must run OMV as a VM (I do).

without me having to pass the drives through to OMV and therefore meaning I won't loose my data?

Why would you lose your data? The zfs plugin can import existing pools. Install OMV fresh in a VM, install the zfs plugin, and re-setup your plugins/sharedfolders.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, it is. Especially if you are using the proxmox kernel with OMV. In that case, they are identical.

Nope, can't do this. Proxmox and OMV have conflicting dependencies. You must run OMV as a VM (I do).

Why would you lose your data? The zfs plugin can import existing pools. Install OMV fresh in a VM, install the zfs plugin, and re-setup your plugins/sharedfolders.

Thanks for your quick response ryecoaaron,

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear but yes I am looking to install OMV in a VM within of Proxmox.

In terms of ZFS, my understanding is that I could approach this two ways:

1) Setup a ZFS pool within Proxmox and create a virtual drive in that pool for OMV to use

2) Pass through the drives to OMV for OMV to create the ZFS pool using the OMV Extra's plugin

My thinking is to go with option 1 and create a virtual drive within Proxmox for OMV to use as it's data drive (that just happens to be based on a ZFS pool). This means I could create other virtual drives in the Proxmox ZFS pool for other VM's should there be the need. Given that I have been using the Proxmox kernel within my current bare metal installation of OMV I believe what you're saying is that Proxmox can import the zfs pool without issue and without me losing any data?

Regards,

Ravi

• Offizieller Beitrag

what you're saying is that Proxmox can import the zfs pool without issue and without me losing any data?

You should be able to.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!