Install Proxmox on OMV5?

• Hello guys,

i´ve found a lot of topics about installing OMV "inside" of Proxmox, but today i would like to ask the other way round.

Is it possible to add Proxmox to OMV5 without crashing everything?

Here is the reason why i wanna do this:

I have a backup machine running Bareos on a Proxmox server. Sad but true, this Proxmox server is quite old and need to be replaced. So i thought it would be really cool to let this Bareos machine run on the same server where the backups are stored, which is OMV5 apparently. This would speed up the thing a little bit i hope and i would not have to invest in a Proxmox server just for this one task.

I know that there is Cockpit now available for OMV5, but some important features are missing right now, so i thought a "simple" Proxmox-GUI would make it easier for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edit:

Red Hat Documentation, Limitiations with Cockpit

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. Been discussed many times on this forum. OMV and Proxmox have some conflicting dependencies.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have a better way to go then, as using Cockpit instead?

I use proxmox myself and always run OMV as a VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

No limitations with RAID or anything?

No. Proxmox is Debian 10 just like OMV. You will have to set it up from the command line unless you use zfs.

Is there an installation guide for virtualizing OMV5 that you can recommend?

Not that I know. I set it up just a physical machine except I choose virtio hardware for the drive controller and network adapter.

• Ok thanks for all the informations! I really appreciate this!

You will have to set it up from the command line unless you use zfs.

Why is that so?
    I thought i could maybe pass-through my data drives that i have now and kinda like reconnect or open them from OMV, cause i would like to restore (fsarchiver) my installation i have now inside the VM, if possible.

I think i can not afford ZFS, because of 40TB storage space i would need about what? 45GB of RAM :D.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why is that so?
    I thought i could maybe pass-through my data drives that i have now and kinda like reconnect or open them from OMV, cause i would like to restore (fsarchiver) my installation i have now inside the VM, if possible.

I was talking about the host not the guest. They guest will be no different than a physical machine if you pass the drives thru.

I think i can not afford ZFS, because of 40TB storage space i would need about what? 45GB of RAM :D.

Nope. You would only need that if you turned dedupe on.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!