How do I update PLEX running on OMV 5 with Docker and Portainer?

• I have Plex running on OMV 5 after following a video showing how to set this up using Docker and Portainer, but Plex server web screen shows there is an update, How do I install this?

• If you are using a Plex Docker image that supports self updating and you have properly configured it to use this feature, restarting the container is all that is needed to have your Plex Media Server updated to the latest version you are entitled to.

The documentation is where you can determine if the image you are using supports the feature and how to configure it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I am trying to do this as well but I am completely new to most OMV stuff. When I'm on my Plex page it shows "You are currently running version 1.22.3.4392 on the server "OMVNAS". Version 1.23.2.4656 is now available. This update will need to be installed manually after download."

I went to my Portainer page and selected Containers where I saw Plex listed. Selected Plex and clicked Restart but I still have the above message after logging in again. Is Watchtower a separate thing I have to install or is it something within Plex?

I am on OMV 5.6.8-1

Version: 7.0-32 (Sandworm)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

• It's not Restart, you have to click on, but Recreate. Popup will rise to ask, if you want to pull new image. Says Yes. Wait a minute. Done.

This is not accurate. If the container is capable and properly configured then restarting it, either from within Portainer or the shell, will trigger the built in update mechanism and download a new version of Plex into the existing container if one is available and you are entitled to it. This process does not involve pulling a new image, replacing the container, or rebuilding the container.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I did not know that. The method I described, works for me. That's all...

If you read the documentation for the images you use there is much to learn.

There are very few questions asked here (and elsewhere) that are not answered in those pages.

--

• Watchtower is a seperate program in its own docker:

https://hub.docker.com/r/v2tec/watchtower/

In your Plex container did you set the environment variable VERSION to the value latest ?

When I look at Container Details it looks like next to Version it says Docker. Is there a way to change that without redoing the install? I see an option near the top to Edit but I don't want to just go around clicking and mess up my entire container.

• You have to Edit the container to make changes.

--

• You have to Edit the container to make changes.

After I type "Latest" in place of "Docker" next to Version, do I click Deploy the Container? Because when I do that I get a message that says "A container with the same name already exists. Portainer can automatically remove it and re-create one. Do you want to replace it?" If I click Replace, will I have to redo everything in my Plex library like rescan everything and manually scan for things that didn't find a match on its own?

• Offizieller Beitrag

After I type "Latest" in place of "Docker" next to Version, do I click Deploy the Container? Because when I do that I get a message that says "A container with the same name already exists. Portainer can automatically remove it and re-create one. Do you want to replace it?" If I click Replace, will I have to redo everything in my Plex library like rescan everything and manually scan for things that didn't find a match on its own?

Yes, otherwise the change will not be applied. You shouldn't have to redo anything so long as none of your volumes changed.

• You have to deploy and replace the container for any edits you made to take effect. The change you are making does not impact your library in any way.

--

• Hi!

I'm trying to update my plex version, now it's running 1.22.3.4523-d0ce30438-ls31

My VERSION variable was set to 'docker' so I have updated it to 'latest', but when i do that and try to start the container after editing the value, the plex server wont start and continuosly throws an error like:

Code
    ****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.25.9.5721-965587f64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/5cca32d4-b59f-466f-ab1f5cb4-4aa9ed86.dmp
    Starting Plex Media Server.
    libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::__2::system_error: clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) failed: Operation not permitted
    libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::__2::system_error: clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) failed: Operation not permitted

After that, if I set the VERSION variable back to 'docker', it works flawless

Am I doing something wrong?

• Looks like a permission issue while calling the kernel function

What system are you runnning on? selinus, apparmor, ...?

Or see here: RE: PLEX

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!