Move from v4 to v5

• Hello all together,

I want to upgrade from v4 to v5.

The recommendation is to do a clean new install of v5.

Actually I use Snapraid for my files.

I already made a clean install of v5 on another drive and I want to transfair all previous users, groups, shared folders, option of services and the sanpraid to the new system.

Is it sufficient to copy the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to the new system in this steps:

1. copy the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

2. power off

3. plug in the devices

4. start the system

Or do I miss something?

• You can not copy /etc/openmediavault/config.xml from one machine to another and expect this to restore the functionality of the machine the file came from to the machine you copied the file to. This does not work, and has never worked.

It is possible to perform an inplace upgrade from v4 to v5 without doing a fresh install and configuring everything all over again from scratch.

You have nothing to lose by trying the inplace upgrade. I suggest you make a known to be restorable backup of the system before attempting this. This will allow you to make repeated attempts if something goes wrong.

The inplace upgrade process is here:

RE: OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hello,

i didn't had time the last few weeks, to try the inplace upgrade. Yesterday I did and it was a total mess.

I restored the backup and now I want to do the recommendation of "ryecoaaron" - the clean new install of v5 I announced in my post.

I already created previous users and groups by hand and pre-setup some of the services on the new system.

Now I want to move the disks to the new system and have some questions:

1. Which steps in which order are necessary to transfer snapraid and union-filesystem? I don't want to loose any data!

2. If it's necessary/possible: Which steps in which order are to do to restore shared folders?

to 1.

Solution:

For moving snapraid and union-filesystem from v4 old machine to v5 new machine do do following steps:

If using ACL: write down or copy UserID in old /etc/password

in webgui:

At File-Systems:

Mount all the necessary devices

At Union-Filesystems:

Add the devices (and use the same name as before)

At Snapraid:

Add data and parity drives

If using ACL write the old UserID in new /etc/password - beware it has to be unique!!

to 2.

Folders are still there.

After creating the users and groups and finished step 1 above go to share folder and select all the old folders...

• FreeFiler

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!