Read NAS drive by PC [solved]

• Dear all,

I have trouble with my NAS.
    Recently I built up a tiny NAS with a Raspberry 3b+ and an external drive according this instruction:
    https://bitreporter.de/raspber…elber-bauen/#comment-1398

Few days later the Raspberry was not even able to boot up. When I repeat the procedure with another SD-card it works fine, the Raspberry boots up and I can access the NAS settings by OMV web interface. So I assume the first SD-card is damaged.

My problem/ my question:
    How can I access the data on my external drive now?
    If I repeat the procedure with a new SD-card and plug in my external drive, I can not see my old folders respectively have to delete the drive before I can use it, right?
    Another possibility is (in my opinion) to access the data by (Linux) PC. If I connect the drive via USB to my PC, my folders are visible. But there will occur a message that shows I am not eligible to access the folders if I try to open them. Permission denied X(

Does anybody have a clue how I can access my data?

Thank you in advance!

klappmeter

• Offizieller Beitrag

The disks should show up under File Systems. If they do, can you mount them? Whatever you do, don’t format or erase them.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I can see the disk and I can mount it.

That is very good :)

But under 'Shared Folders' I can not see my folders.

if you are using a different SD card with a new OMV installation, you have to create the shared folders (and all other stuff - SMB/CIFS shares, users, groups and so on) a second time. There is no possibility to directly transfer an old configuration to a new installation.

Therefore it may be a good idea to clone the SD card after creating a good configuration.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• if you are using a different SD card with a new OMV installation, you have to create the shared folders (and all other stuff - SMB/CIFS shares, users, groups and so on) a second time. There is no possibility to directly transfer an old configuration to a new installation.

Will I be able to access the data of my old folders if I create them a second time (and name them the same way)?

Therefore it may be a good idea to clone the SD card after creating a good configuration.

I had the same idea after my problem occur but it was too late. I was not even able to clone it.
    Cloning failed during read out the image of the old SD-card.

• I can access my data again :love:

If you know what is to do, it will be quite easy:

You have simply to proceed the instruction I referenced to.

When you create new shared folders under 'Access Rights Management' you can browse a path on the target drive.
    There are the old folders visible.

Thank you for supporting me!

• klappmeter

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Read NAS drive by PC“ zu „Read NAS drive by PC [solved]“ geändert.
  • f you know what is to do, it will be quite easy:

:)That's the case with a lot of things in life.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!