boot from SATA (SSD) : Rockpro64

• Hey guys,

I am new to this community and I have started building my own NAS and learning lots of things in the past few months

My goal is to run OMV from SSD instead of sd card. SSD's will be in RAID 1 Config and I have created 3 partitions using LVM and In one of the partition the OS should be present to boot.

I have freshly installed the OMV as mentione from pine64.org website.

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.…re_Release#OpenMediaVault

It seems the OMV version is outdated. I have tried to do omv-update. Still it remains same.

Which OMV (img) should I run on my rockpro64? There are various image mentioned in pine64.org and also in OMV website.

Below are the current info about the OMV and kernal installed on my SBC.

root@rockpro64:~# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    ii openmediavault 4.1.35-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-flashmemory 4.2.2 all folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-lvm2 4.0.7-1 all OpenMediaVault Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) plugin
    ii openmediavault-netatalk 4.0.7-1 all OpenMediaVault netatalk (AppleTalk Protocol Suite) plugin
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 4.1.16 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

root@rockpro64:~# dpkg -l | grep linux
    ii libselinux1:armhf 2.6-3+b3 armhf SELinux runtime shared libraries
    ii linux-base 4.5 all Linux image base package
    ii linux-headers-4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan-g34ae07687fce:arm64 4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan arm64 Linux kernel headers for 4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan-g34ae07687fce on arm64
    ii linux-image-4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan-g34ae07687fce:arm64 4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan arm64 Linux kernel, version 4.4.167-1213-rockchip-ayufan-g34ae07687fce
    ii linux-libc-dev:armhf 4.9.210-1+deb9u1 armhf Linux support headers for userspace development
    ii linux-rockpro64-0.8:arm64 0.8.3 arm64 Rock64 Linux virtual package: depends on kernel and compatibility package
    ii util-linux 2.29.2-1+deb9u1 armhf miscellaneous system utilities

How can I make OMV bootable from SSD instead of SD card?

I have seen some u-boot-spi option to boot. But I am using different PCI-e card (SATA Karte Marvell 88SE9230 Chipset) not the one that comes with rockpro64. So I had to make some changes to see my SSD drives in the device.

I have tried few things: rsync the files from root to ssd and change the label in the extlinux.conf file. but it doesn't work.

I have been actively forum different forums to get a solution to this. Please let me know. Thanks

Cheers.

https://forum.frank-mankel.org…mit-samsung-960-evo-m-2/2

https://forum.frank-mankel.org…ooten-von-der-nvme-platte

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8685&page=4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which OMV (img) should I run on my rockpro64?

Armbian Buster. Then install OMV 5.x with the install script - Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

SD's will be in RAID 1 Config and I have created 3 partitions using LVM and In one of the partition the OS should be present to boot.

Why Raid 1? There is nothing redundant about a RockPro (I have one). If you install the flashmemory plugin (the install script does) and take regular backups, there is no reason a SD card won't last a long time.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron Thanks for your reply. Now the first point is clear I will install armbian buster and then install OMV 5.x with the install script.

I dunno why in the pine64, they mentioned to install this (https://github.com/ayufan-rock…4-0.8.3-1141-armhf.img.xz ) which has still old version of OMV (debian stretch)

Regarding the RAID 1-> I would like to boot from SSD instead of SD card since its faster and read/write is also faster than SD card. (I did few benchmarking and saw really good results)

Is it something I could do to boot from SSD instead of SD card?

please let me know. Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

egarding the RAID 1-> I would like to boot from SSD instead of SD card since its faster and read/write is also faster than SD card. (I did few benchmarking and saw really good results)

Of course the SSD is faster but if you put your data on the SSD and leave the OS on the SD card, you shouldn't have any problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay so the debian where OMV runs on top runs from SD card and the data will be on the SSD?

Will there be a significant difference in speed comparing to SSD interms of boot?

I would like to build for my personal server. I was looking into the flash memory plugin, doesn't it help me to move the OMV to the SSD? so OMV runs from SSD.

Incase of any failure in sd card, I could just replace the sd card and everything should work fine? Does it create any problem in future? Because I dont trust the Sd card for a long term use.

Please let me know

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will there be a significant difference in speed comparing to SSD interms of boot?

OMV boots quickly from any media. The question is, why would you be worried about boot speed? Remember, we're not talking about a client. OMV is a server which will, in most cases, be running 24x7. I have an automated reboot, set to run a couple times a month, but it's scheduled for the early morning hours when the server is not in use. It could take a 1/2 hour and I wouldn't notice it. Boot time is pretty much irrelevant, and once all the needed files are loaded into ram the speed of the boot drive is even less important. The kernel executes from ram.

Most of the questions you have are answered in the build Doc's.

Build your Rockpro according the armbian guide found here -> SBC & 32-bit builds using an SD-card. (You can always clone the SD-card to the SSD if you want to, later.) The script will setup the flashmemory plugin for you so there's no worries about the SD-card wearing out in no time.

Then configure OMV according to this user guide -> Getting Started

In the getting started guide there's explanations of the differences in boot media (you might want to look at that first), flash media wear leveling, what the flashmemory plugin does and how to clone your SD-card. If you don't run something transaction intensive from the boot drive, a new good quality SD-card should last at least a few years. If the SD-card fails for some reason, pop in the clone and you're back in business.

• siva

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • siva

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!