Grub-install failed

• Hi

I´ve tried to update my OVM from 4 to 5 on my Qnap TS 269 pro (x86). After a more or less successful upgrade i was not satisfied during different problems. After that i tried to fresh install OVM5, but i ran into same error every try.

During the install procedure i get the "install grub error" with red screen. I tried different Images, different USB thumbs and tried other things picked up in this forum. All Storage devices are unplugged expect Install and target. Still the same..

After i tried following as described in the install guide:

i get the following error:

Code
    grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist.   Please specify --target or --directory.

Would be very nice if somebody can help. Thanks

• What did you specify as the target for the chroot?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• In line 2, what exactly did you type in?

Provide a link to wherever you got that stuff.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Uhh, i didn't realise that i have to specify..as you see, my experince in command line are limited and english too, sorry.

I don´t know what path to specify, can you push me in the right direction?

• Provide the link to the guide you got that stuff from.

--

• I don't have the time to look thru all of that. You'll have to narrow it down.

--

• On the bottom of the page as following

The command in Line 2 i executed as is, without specifing anything.

Then after executing the

Code
    grub-install /dev/sd[a-z]

command, i get following output:

Code
    grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist.   Please specify --target or --directory.
  • OK, I still don't understand what /target is all about, but........

Now, exactly how did you respond to this line?

grub-install /dev/sd[a-z]

Tell me exactly what you typed in.

--

• Hi

This is what i typed exactly:

grub-install /dev/sda

After that, this is the output:

Code

Where I don't know how to preceded...

Hope it's what you've asking for..?

• I am out of ideas. I do suspect that there is a disconnect between the documentation you are following and the install image you are using.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the qnap is 64bit, the 64bit image should be fine. Some user get around various issues using the Debian net-inst ISO instead of the OMV ISO, that is why I thought it might be worth a try for you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian net-inst ISO instead of the OMV ISO,

That would be the best option, I think this Qnap may have a 64bit processor but an x86 Uefi which would explain the issue with the grub install. Either that or change the bios setting to legacy

But troel :thumbup: to you for checking the documentation

• I've tried now to install net-inst ISO 64bit with different bios settings (legacy boot on/off) without success. Then I tried a net-inst i386 ISO and the installation worked.

Strange thing that on OMV 4x the OMV ISO 64bit install worked nearly without problems, and now on 5x it don't.

I don't know if I stay on the i386 ISO... Maybe I try to fresh install a 4x OMV and make directly the upgrade with the upgradescript from ryecoaaron...I'm not sure if it makes sense/is it worth..

But the 32bit images are not fully compatible to all software so I think its better stay on the 4x backup or to make the upgrade on fresh OMV4x 64bit install..

Thanks again to all for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!