Problems installing VPN container

• Offizieller Beitrag

On my systems (amd64 and HC2) it is "openmediavault-webgui" - calling for trouble

Code
    18:33:26 root@hawk:~# id 998
    uid=998(openmediavault-webgui) gid=996(openmediavault-webgui) groups=996(openmediavault-webgui),998(openmediavault-config),997(openmediavault-engined)
  • calling for trouble

One of the thing I really enjoyed in your Nextcoud guide was exactly that:

create a user dedicated for docker in the GUI of OMV, let's call him "docker1"
    in the CLI determine UID (user ID) and GID (group ID) of user "docker1" id docker1

This showed that you care for safety, ;)

• An easier way to accomplish this is to use a Socks5 proxy instead of a VPN if your client app can use it. Your VPN provider probably provides a Socks5 too.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I have no idea what that is and how to get that to work. But thank you for your suggestion. Will look into it in the future. For now I have switched back to my first attempt with the 'stalled' problem. That uses the vpn connection when the curl ipconfig.io command outputs a different public ip. This is what I am running at the moment:

• You get a torrent client to work with a Socks5 proxy by configuring it. First see if your VPN provider offers a free Socks5 proxy with a VPN account, most do. Then look around in your torrent client for the proxy settings page and configure it.

No matter what you wind up doing you should be running a torrent IP check torrent to reveal to you the IP address the trackers see. I use this one but there are others:

https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

The other thing you could do is make things easier if you can't or won't use Socks5 by using a docker that already combines qbittorrent and OpenVPN:

https://github.com/guillaumedsde/alpine-qbittorrent-openvpn

One thing you may or may not know about qbittorrent dockers is that they are all based on qbittorrent-nox. This variant has no GUI RSS feed support - for some reason they stripped it out. If you need RSS feed capability, then you will have to find another way to incorporate it. FlexGet is an option but I don't use it. I use Deluge for torrenting and it has RSS capability in the docker. Deluge also has a plugin that directly shows you your exit IP address.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• My vpn provider does offer socks5 and have a tutorial how to use it with qbittorrent. They state that:

''Should you use SOCKS5 with a VPN?

The main difference between proxies and VPNs is that VPNs encrypt your traffic and proxies don’t. VPNs provide more stable connections while proxy connections drop more often. There are few reasons to use both together, so your best bet is to choose the right tool for the job. Fortunately, NordVPN’s servers also support SOCKS5 connections. For full instructions on how to use SOCKS5 proxy on different platforms, visit our tutorial page.''

''VPNs and proxies can be used together but this can take some work to configure. We also advise against it as the proxy would simply add another middle-man that slows down your connection without significant benefits. It’s better to switch to one or the other when using them.''

The link you provided shows that the trackers see the vpn ipaddress, not my public one. Nice tool btw.

My first attempt was with markusmcnugen/qbittorrentvpn. Got it working but it was slow due to openvpn.

I want encryption by using the nordlynx protocol not openvpn, because it is slow and cpu hungry.

Not using rss feed (for now). But the image that I am using now (ghcr.io/linuxserver/qbittorrent) says the following in the webgui:

'Fetching of RSS feeds is disabled now! You can enable it in application settings.'

And indeed there is a tab in the options window where I can enable it. If you like I could make a screenshot and post it for you.

Greetings.

• I fired up a copy of that docker and saw the RSS stuff. Thanks. You can enable encryption in qbittorrent as I do in Deluge.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Cool, glad to be of assistance.

Turns out that the 'stalled' problem no longer exists with my composed stack above. Now, half a day later, added torrents starts immediately . Logging into qbittorrent and bubuntor2 (vpn) console and execute command:

Code
     curl ifconfig.io 

Still outputs a vpn ipaddress and verified with:

https://torguard.net/checkmyto…60c0208040cdbd0f5da8cdf88

I am happy 8):thumbup:. So solved then?

Greetings

-Update-

Still get the 'stalled' message. After a few torrents have completed their upload ratio after downloading (status:completed) and the system is idle for a random time, manual adding a linux distro torrent does work. But the other newly added torrents from a different tracker (rarbg) are 'stalled'. Manual restart of the container is still necessary.

• Tried it with tranmission client using the following stack:

Now a day later and all works fine. Downloading a ubuntu torrent hits 50MB/s. Newly added torrents from a different tracker doesn't get ''stalled'' and no restart is required . curl ifconfig.io shows a different ip and is verified by torguard. Perhaps future updates of qBittorrent images will solve these problems. No rss feed in this tranmission client thou.

Greetings

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!