OMV killed WiFi on Raspberry Pi 4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really wish people would setup networking AFTER the install script. I have tried to make the install script save the network setting but sometimes they are just too strange. How did you setup wifi?

Reading your post again tells you me you most likely have a desktop environment installed. This is bad for OMV and it sets up networking in a way that the script will never handle.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

are you suggesting that Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite (Minimal image based on Debian Buster) must be used only?

( I did not see it anywhere :( )

Yes. We have always said to not install desktop regardless what board or architecture you are using. The image is here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-os/

• ryecoaaron

Not to double guess, but curious, why is there such a restriction on X/desktop option?

It looks like the lite option with no desktop still does not like raspberry 4 Model B with WiFi as it got disabled as well.

And is it possible to add it after OMV was setup ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

why is there such a restriction on X/desktop option?

This has been discussed many, many times but Desktop environments do many things that conflict with OMV. OMV is meant to be a headless NAS and takes control of many config files which desktop environments are also trying to configure.

It looks like the lite option with no desktop still does not like raspberry 4 Model B with WiFi as it got disabled as well.

Did you use the method involving /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf? This is the only method the install script supports.

And is it possible to add it after OMV was setup ?

Yes which is the way I wish people would do it if they insist on using wifi.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron

I actually could not enable WiFi using those steps. But I found out that if added a 'wlan0' interface via OMV/Interfaces it shows up in `ifconfig` as

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether dc:a6:32:ac:40:7b txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0

TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)

TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

Which was surprising to as I did not realize that OMV took control on Pi OS.

But so far I am nor sure how to actually make it ask for IP

Any clues?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have followed those steps before for testing and they worked. How did you set it up in the web interface? A screenshot would help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That should get an address unless it isn't connecting. What is the output of iwconfig?

• @pi-nas:~ $ iwconfig

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any

Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=31 dBm

Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

Power Management:on

veth22c4755 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

docker0 no wireless extensions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is why it isn't getting an IP - it isn't connected to your wifi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

how do I connect to WiFi ?

I have used the method I linked to earlier and used the web interface. Both worked fine for me but I don't use wifi for a NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But wonder why packages like `piwiz` and `rpi-chromium-mods` are needed ad installed by OMV ?

They aren't installed by OMV. They must be packages already on the RPi image.

• Hey, just installed OMV 5 on a Pi 4b with 4 gig ram.

Used the lite image of rasbian for it and the install script.

No luck for my wifi either. I am not too concerned with file transfers, but all my lan ports are used by other devices, so would prefer to have the wifi option just for play-around purposes.

Added my wifi details to wpa_supplicant.conf but can't even get the interface up. Has there been any easy fixes?

EDIT:

Actually here are the steps so far...

so far:

1. edited /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file - added a network section with SSID and psk.
    2. ran this
      sudo wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    3. actually changed it to
      sudo wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
      this way it runs in the background
    4. Can now set Localisation to my country in raspi-config

Scan works too,

Code
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

shows the available networks, and using raspi-config trying to connect.

Can also enter SSID and password, it will then show in ifconfig and iwconfig output, but no IP address. :(

Ok, so it IS connected, but what's missing is the IP, so what could go wrong...:

Code
    sudo dhclient -4 wlan0

et voilá.

I now have an IP address for wlan0 and can access OMV5 on the wireless ip address from a browser. :)

EDIT

found this link too. Perhaps this works too, have not tried it myself

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually here are the steps so far...

If people insist on doing setup before running the install script, then they should use the script's flag to skip networking. Otherwise, either just populate wpa_supplicant and then run the script OR use wired networking until OMV is up and then setup wifi in the web interface.

If you want to skip networking setup by the script, do:

wget https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install

chmod +x install

sudo ./install -n

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!