Clone 320GB HDD to 64GB SDD

• Greetings to all of you

I have a problem

I would like to clone the 320GB hard drive where I installed OMV4

on a 64GB SSD

320GB HDD> 64GB SSD

OMV is on a 20GB partition with 3.99 Linux swaps

the rest of the disk is unallocated

I tried with clonezilla and other software, but I can't clone the disk. if I clone only the partition, the Boot does not work

do you have a solution?

• I would use dd to copy the disk. It will fail once the 64GB drive is filled up, but it's likely that it was copying empty space at failure, so the copy should be fine. You have nothing to lose by trying.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I would use dd to copy the disk. It will fail once the 64GB drive is filled up, but it's likely that it was copying empty space at failure, so the copy should be fine. You have nothing to lose by trying.

I don't know how to use dd to copy

do you have any links, where does it explain how to do it, or a tutorial?

• In clonezilla the EXPERT mode must be used in order to clone to a smaller drive. Replacement main drive

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I don't know how to use dd to copy

do you have any links, where does it explain how to do it, or a tutorial?

Welcome to Linux where we have these things called man pages that provide the documentation for programs. To see the dd man page, in the shell type:

man dd

Press the space bar to see the next page. Press the q key to quit.

Many man pages are also available online. To see the dd man page, google search for it in your browser.

After you have read the documentation feel free to ask any questions.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• SaviorCalabro I really don't want to scare you, but with dd it is quite easy possible to do a lot of things wrong (e.g. unintentionally overwrite existing partitions) which can cause serious problems. So be careful and read the docs first as gderf has suggested.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• thank you gderf cabrio_leo

but I would like to do a safe job, I was thinking of installing debian 9.11 x64 on an 80GB HDD

Then clone everything under debian

what do you think of this idea?

Exactly what is you intend to accomplish with this?

--

• You are seriously overthinking this.

Clonezilla and Gparted are both already available within OMV. Look in The OMV-Extras section Kernel area. So you could just use them from there.

But you could more easily use dd in the shell to clone your OMV system disk to the 64GB SSD. As I said initially you have nothing to lose by trying this. Just be careful.

--

• use dd in the shell to clone

you want to tell me, directly from the shell from the NAS where OMV is installed

do I connect the keyboard and the monitor and do it from there?

entering with root and password

root @ xxxxxxxxx: ~ #

is this what you want me to understand?

• You don't need to connect a keyboard and monitor. You can ssh into the machine from another machine that has a keyboard, monitor, and has network connectivity.

How and from where have you been interacting with OMV?

--

• from win 10 via chrome

That would be via the OMV web interface. What you need to do requires using the Linux shell, or stated in another way, you need to get "under the hood."

You can do this several ways.

If you have a monitor and keyboard attached to your OMV this is called the console.

If not you can connect to OMV from another machine via the secure shell, or ssh using a program like Putty.

There is or was a plugin for OMV called shell in a box. That would probably be the easiest way if it exists.

I say pick one :)

--

• Be careful when you are logged in as the root user. root has full control over everything and there is little if any protection from making mistakes that can have major consequences up to and including destroying the operating system.

Read and try to understand the dd man page and/or google for information on how to use dd to duplicate disks. There are many sources for this information.

Pay particular attention to matters concerning being absolutely positively sure about the device you choose to be the output of the dd command. There is no sanity checking, no popup warnings, no "Are you sure Y/n? prompts, etc.

dd shows no mercy. The output device will be completely overwritten with no possibility of recovery. If you chose the wrong disk as the destination, too bad so sad.

--

• Be careful when you are logged in as the root user. root has full control over everything and there is little if any protection from making mistakes that can have major consequences up to and including destroying the operating system.

Read and try to understand the dd man page and/or google for information on how to use dd to duplicate disks. There are many sources for this information.

Pay particular attention to matters concerning being absolutely positively sure about the device you choose to be the output of the dd command. There is no sanity checking, no popup warnings, no "Are you sure Y/n? prompts, etc.

dd shows no mercy. The output device will be completely overwritten with no possibility of recovery. If you chose the wrong disk as the destination, too bad so sad.

I am going to clone the large sized disk

so you don't miss the OMV system

I have another hard drive of the same size

so first clone it with clonezilla

then I try to transfer to small SSD

• gderf

I have documented myself

and I understand that

dd if = $ input_data of = $ output_data [options] Drive-to-drive duplication

in my case I have the source (320GB sdb)

the destination (sda 64GB)

so the cloning command is:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1 (to detect partitions)

all this I do from the clonezilla shell

Did I understand well?

• Exactly what are you expecting to happen when you run that dd command?

--

• Exactly what are you expecting to happen when you run that dd command?

I did this:

Boot into CloneZilla

Enter Shell

sudo su

fdisk -l (to ensure disks)

then if I understand I have to do this

dd if = / dev / sdb of = / dev / sda bs = 512 count = 1 (to detect partitions)

Reboot

Boot into CloneZilla

device-device mode

beginner

part_to_local_part

sdb1 as source

sda1 as destination

skip checking / repairing source file system

yes twice

rerun

device-device mode

beginner

part_to_local_part

sdb2 as source

sda2 as destination

skip checking / repairing source file system

yes twice

Remove CloneZilla

Reboot

Success!

I believe these are the steps

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!