Install fails during file transfer

• Unable to install OMV 5 of any kind on Server that already hat OMV installed.

Hardware:

HP Proliant Microserver Gen8

Install Medium: 16 GB SanDisk USB

Trying to install on USB always shows Error at exactly 28% during install.

Message says something like: "A part of the installation failed. Failed: System install" (see below)

Tried with and without Ethernet, with CD and USB and tried every amd64 version on Sourceforge.

The system had some problems with the install last time but I got it running eventually (after more than 20 tries excluding failed installations).

I firstly tried this with an exactly identical USB-Drive but that one did not work (partition error) and no solution I found (diskpart/gparted) worked in any shape or form.

And now I tried cleaning the USB and now I get the partition error on both USB's.

Anybody have a solution for any of those problems?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How much ram do you have installed? Not sure if it this, but OMV installer tries to create a swap partition with the size of the RAM. Maybe your USB stick is too small for this.

If this is the issue you would have two options

a// pull some of the RAM for instalation

b// install Debian netinst first and then OMV on top

• gderf The USB worked until this morning I just hat to reinstall it bekause I borked something. But I will check that either way.

macom I have 16 GB RAM I switched after the Installation so that is probably the Problem. Good thing that I still have the old RAM so i will try that.

Edit: Tried to get back to the installation but there is still the Partitioning Problem. Anybody have any ideas?

• Update: It worked!!!!

gderf The USB came out ok.

macom Thanks for the RAM-Tip. That worked wonders. That would have taken me a week or more and I still would not have been all the wiser.

For anybody coming here having the same Problem:

- I scaled the RAM back down below 16 GB

- I fixed the USB using gparted via a Linux VM (here for more info)

• How much ram do you have installed? Not sure if it this, but OMV installer tries to create a swap partition with the size of the RAM. Maybe your USB stick is too small for this.

If this is the issue you would have two options

a// pull some of the RAM for instalation

b// install Debian netinst first and then OMV on top

I don't think it is an unusual use case for OMV running on small disks with amounts of RAM comparable the size of the disk.

I myself am 'balanced' running on a 16GB SSD with 16GB of RAM. My install started five years ago with OMV 2.x and has been upgraded in place to v3, v4, then v5.

IIRC, the initial OMV 2 install to a 16GB SSD provided 3GB of swap, and succeeded. I didn't need swap so I disabled it and expanded the remaining partition to use almost all of the drive.

From what I can tell from reading here is that a from scratch install of OMV 5 on the same machine, same disk, and same amount of RAM would fail. Why is this?

Would it be possible to either scale back on the amount of swap created during the initial install, or perhaps even provide an option to install sans swap? Or is the OMV 5 install iso already capable of this?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!