portainer: how to update to latest version

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can install Portainer with docker-compose and have control over your port number and config location. When it’s time to upgrade just run docker-compose pull portainer and then docker-compose up -d. My guess is that if you try to upgrade this way with an existing Portainer (GUI) install you will break it. It’s best implemented with a fresh (docker-compose) install.

HT KM0201 here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can install Portainer with docker-compose and have control over your port number and config location. When it’s time to upgrade just run docker-compose pull portainer and then docker-compose up -d. My guess is that if you try to upgrade this way with an existing Portainer (GUI) install you will break it. It’s best implemented with a fresh (docker-compose) install.

HT KM0201 here.

I tried to change an existing install by just changing the /data volume.. It failed every time. I love the simplicity of the button in the webUI (and it's great for new users). Obviously the way it is designed, it has to be a one size fits all approach. As someone a little beyond a newb, I use docker-compose so I can set my data volume. After that, it's all compose files in stacks. This makes restoring from a backup, adjusting and redploying containers, etc.. so so much easier.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to change an existing install by just changing the /data volume.. It failed every time.

I figured you had tested it. That is why I tagged you.

To get back to the OP's question; I found an unused server lying about which was still installed with Portainer 2.1.1 and I was able to upgrade it to 2.6.3 by using the OMV-Extras GUI page, pulling down the Portainer tab and selecting Install. So I'm not sure what was going on in his instance.

kattivius maybe try uninstalling Portainer via the OMV-Extras GUI and then Install. Maybe you are not holding your mouth right.

• I figured you had tested it. That is why I tagged you.

To get back to the OP's question; I found an unused server lying about which was still installed with Portainer 2.1.1 and I was able to upgrade it to 2.6.3 by using the OMV-Extras GUI page, pulling down the Portainer tab and selecting Install. So I'm not sure what was going on in his instance.

kattivius maybe try uninstalling Portainer via the OMV-Extras GUI and then Install. Maybe you are not holding your mouth right.

Hi Agricola,

not sure i misunderstanding... I had portainer installed from OMV-Extra (as usual in all my OMV installations).
    But the old trick to simply use the drop down list and click install on portainer (again) does not seems to work anymore!

Hold on, wait.. I am looking t the message after installing portainer again. Looking better, I saw a DNS error! that is quite odd as all the rest does function well. I am behind VPN.
    Could be that portiner servers dont accept connections from VPN providers?

Docker storage ::path-to-docker-folder/docker

Agent port:: 8000

Web port:: 9000

Yacht port:: 8001

arch :: armhf

option :: portainer

state :: install

extras :: 5.6.2

DNS error. Exiting ...

Done.

Ans here comes the solution again!

To answer my own question.. YES; using a VPN does not allows you to update portainer.
    I use PIA VPN (at router level). Therefore the DNS error above.

Once changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1 temporarily (that BTW now is a apple product and it resolves to icloud servers), it works.

Now I have updated!

Summary:

Yes, the old trick works:

Gui OMV-Extra, portainer droop down list, Install

Will upgrade the portainer.

Dont use a VPN to connect to portainer servers! (change to a known DNS server)

Agricola thanks. You tricked me and figured out my issue.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kattivius () aus folgendem Grund: reviewed logs

• kattivius

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

kattivius you are welcome, and thank YOU! You helped me too. I learned a bit more about Portainer and VPNs. Thanks also to KM0201.

• I figured you had tested it. That is why I tagged you.

Hi, Agricola

I just tried OMV-Extras GUI page to update/upgrade Portainer to 2.9.0 version and it did not do it. Please advise.

Linux Mint, EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV6 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same problem here.

Installed version of portainer 2.6.3, with a "new version to update" notice.

The GUI button does the job with this output:

Apparently everything is fine. But Portainer continues as before. Version 2.6.3 and follow the "new version to update" notice.

I have also tried uninstalling portainer from the GUI. And then reinstall. Same result.

• OK, I've managed to get 2.9.0 but only through the following via SSH:

docker stop portainer

docker rm portainer

docker pull portainer/portainer-ce:2.9.0

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:2.9.0

This works, so perhaps the dockerhub hasn't updated their latest image to be 2.9.0 yet?

EDIT: as suspected - https://github.com/portainer/portainer/issues/5749 and https://github.com/portainer/portainer/issues/5745

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just came across this and it does not matter which way Portainer was installed - via OMV GUI, or via docker-compose - each upgrade method fails to upgrade Portainer 2.6.3 to 2.9.0. My guess is wait a few days for dockerhub to catch up and then try to upgrade again. It’s no biggie.

• I used these commands in the shell to upgrade to 2.9.0

Code
    docker stop portainer

docker rm portainer

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:2.9.0

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I just came across this and it does not matter which way Portainer was installed - via OMV GUI, or via docker-compose - each upgrade method fails to upgrade Portainer 2.6.3 to 2.9.0. My guess is wait a few days for dockerhub to catch up and then try to upgrade again. It’s no biggie.

Thanks, will do.

Linux Mint, EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV6 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just ran the "Install" of Portainer from the Docker tab in the OMV-Extras Gui tab and it upgraded to 2.9.0. As I thought, waiting a few days would allow "things" to catch up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just ran the "Install" of Portainer from the Docker tab in the OMV-Extras Gui tab and it upgraded to 2.9.0. As I thought, waiting a few days would allow "things" to catch up.

I confirm. Yesterday it also worked for me without problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Portainer isn't something I particularly worry about 100% up to date all the time.

Well, me either. The more I have gotten into deploying and updating containers with docker-compose the less I rely on Portainer, but I do use it once in a while to restart a container, or look at the logs, or check to remind myself what port a container is on. If a container announces an upgrade I usually wait a few days to see if anything amiss bubbles up in the forum, and then I upgrade if the coast seems clear. I try to always upgrade a backup or test machine first, wait a few days, and then upgrade the container on my main server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, me either. The more I have gotten into deploying and updating containers with docker-compose the less I rely on Portainer, but I do use it once in a while to restart a container, or look at the logs, or check to remind myself what port a container is on. If a container announces an upgrade I usually wait a few days to see if anything amiss bubbles up in the forum, and then I upgrade if the coast seems clear. I try to always upgrade a backup or test machine first, wait a few days, and then upgrade the container on my main server.

I usually even use the Command line to check logs. Honestly the thing I use Portainer for, is stacks (and I could just as easily do that with docker-compose).

If you're not aware... Container logs are easy enough to look at with command line

Code
    docker logs -f container_name

to drop back to a prompt at the end of the log, use Cntrl C

Network ports, etc.. you can use docker inspect

Not quite as tidy as Portainer, but if you wanted to completely break from it... very doable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think OMV is designed to make it as easy as possible to use it from the GUI. Avoiding the use of CLI to a minimum. Not using a GUI tool available on the system doesn't make sense to me.

If this tool gives a problem, maybe it would be better to try to improve it, rather than stop using it. Report problems on github.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think OMV is designed to make it as easy as possible to use it from the GUI. Avoiding the use of CLI to a minimum. Not using a GUI tool available on the system doesn't make sense to me.

If this tool gives a problem, maybe it would be better to try to improve it, rather than stop using it. Report problems on github.

Well, you're 100% right but like almost all tasks w/ Linux, there's more than one way to complete a given task. Using the portainer install button on the webUI.. .while very handy for a newb... does come w/ some limitations (and thus why I do not use it). This is nothing against the button, as I think it's great idea for new users. It would be impossible to write to suit every user... so some flexibility has to be sacrificed in the name of ease of use.

Note post #8, as it gets discussed a bit, and is also mentioned above in this thread...

RE: Portainer is starting in generic mode.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my ideal world OMV does everything from GUI. I know this will never be like this. There are always nuances that can be refined from the CLI. And when there are problems there is no choice but to go to the CLI most of the time, it is not a problem for me, and it should not be here for anyone.

But as long as I can choose I will continue to use GUI if there is an alternative, if I did not want that I would not be here. Almost all the (software) problems that I see on this forum are caused by doing things outside of OMV's "standard" procedure, if you will let me call it that.

As for Portainer, preserving information is as easy as keeping a txt file with stacks, and making a backup of the config folder. Being a bit tidy is just copy and paste. I have reinstalled portainer and OMV multiple times and never had a problem with that. I try to make things in OMV as simple as possible to avoid problems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!