Backup a folder with rsync

• Hello,

I'm trying to organize my backup strategy. I use omv-backup, to backup my OS partition every night (DD mode). Now I want to backup my sharefolder AppData on another disk too.

With Rsync in OpenMediavault, is it possible to keep X days of backup and create sperated folders like :

• Backup/AppData/2020/06/29/
    • Backup/AppData/2020/06/28/
    • Backup/AppData/2020/06/27/
    • Backup/AppData/2020/06/26/

etc....

Thank you !

• Galiwyx

Added the Label OMV 5.x
  • Galiwyx

Added the Label resolved
  • Quick question, isn't possible to choose a specific hour ?

If I understand correctly, 1 backup will created everyday ? But at what time ?

Update : you need to manually edit the cron file at /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-rsnapshot

If I understand correctly, the cron is executed every night at 03:30

• I was just thinking about this very thing. I’m thinking “What good is a backup stored on the machine it is intended for?” It needs to be stored remotely. Here is what I’m thinking:

• Create a shared folder just for backups. Name it something like rpi4backup to distinguish it from backup folders of your other servers.
    • Set the Backup plugin to backup to that dedicated share, and set it to keep x number of backups. Set the cron to run daily or what ever you want.
    • Set another server (your backup machine) to pull a Rsync job in Scheduled Jobs just for the dedicated share and set it to run on the same schedule as is set up for the backup.
    • Set the same jobs up in reverse to backup your backup server. What? You don’t have a backup server?

RAID is NOT a backup and not useful for most home users. Rsync makes true backup and restoration stupid easy, and it's built right in to OMV. Use this command in a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofSOURCEdisk/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofDESTINATIONdisk/

Hardware: OMV 5 (current) - NanoPi M4: Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180: backup - Odroid XU4: Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Odroid HC2, Raspberry Pi 3B+, and HP dx2400: testing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!