Install Duplicati package directly instead of Docker?

• Mono is a monster. The proverbial poster child of why to use dockers.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I'd like to install the package directly, without a plugin or Docker

Why you want to hurt yourself?

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• However, with a direct installation you could use the most recent Mono version for Debian given that you add the Mono repository to your system, see https://www.mono-project.com/d…able/#download-lin-debian . Nevertheless,Mono is a monster as it has been mentioned by others in this thread.

However, I would suggest to make some test on the docker and direct install version towards Mono-Version used and speed. Backup speed or or rather slowness of Duplicati was for me the key reason to stay away from this tool. I used the Linux Server Docker https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-duplicati for my tests because it was better documented and had a docker-compose file which I could use directly in Portainer.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• You guys are scaring me... =O I think I'll go the docker route, or maybe look for an alternative to Duplicati.

I did a debtree of mono-runtime on my system, just to see what's all the dependencies. It true, it's very complex. The good news is that it doesn't seem it would cause any conflict on my system. All we see are blue (Depends), black (Recommends) and green (Provides) arrows. There's no red (conflic) arrows. Anyways, it's a beast for sure. View the full image here: mono-runtime.zip

What's a good alternative to Duplicati? The goal is to backup shared folders to Google Drive.

• Just go for Docker. It may look complicated but there are great videos and tutorials out there.

Duplicati is known for its reliability issues, but I haven't used it since a while. You could use rclone.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Hi there,

towards reliability I cant comment on because the sheer slowness of it stopped the further use of it on my side. although I would like to use it ...

However, I tried as a next step Duplicacy and indeed, it it is much faster as Duplicati. It offers a free CLI version and a GUI version to be paid. For me it seems a bit rough edged in terms of usability and functionality. Besides that I did not get it to work with all storage back-end I needed. Perhaps you are lucky with Google Drive which I do not use. Next candidate is Cloudberry Backup for me hoping to find peace of mind on Linux and Windows and cross-platform use.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• Wow, Rclone looks awesome!!!. I've seen what I could do with PowerShell and FreeFileSync recently. I think Rclone would make a great alternative to FreeFileSync also.

... or, if you want all (CLI, GUI, Sync, Cloud storage connection, encryption and compression) under one hood you may try Syncovery for Linux with an intuitive Web GUI for headless servers and CLI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

f you want all (CLI, GUI, Sync, Cloud storage connection, encryption and compression) under one hood you may try Syncovery for Linux with an intuitive Web GUI for headless servers and CLI.

Not open source and a little pricey ($100) for the version that includes the useful features. Hard to tell if that is a one time fee.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I tried as a next step Duplicacy and indeed, it it is much faster as Duplicati. ... Next candidate is Cloudberry Backup for me hoping to find peace of mind on Linux and Windows and cross-platform use.

Duplicacy seems a very good alternative to Duplicati. It creates snapshots in time, which I like. I'm considering it.

CloudBerry seems nice. It seems it's now named MSP360 Backup. They also have a beta product: Image based backup for Linux (Full system backup.)!!!

To be noted: The free version comes with some limitations:

The Linux version is 149USD for ultimate (one time) : https://www.msp360.com/backup/linux.aspx

• Just found an other one to add to the list : Restic.

Apparently Restic+Rclone work well together. Restic can do snapshot backups to any cloud target supported by Rclone.

https://restic.net/blog/2018-04-01/rclone-backend

https://restic.readthedocs.io/…other-services-via-rclone

I'm sure Duplicati works fine for many users. But I have the feeling that it's not optimal for large datasets. That's the feeling I've got from reading many posts in different forums. It just seems users who discovered Duplicacy are super exited about it ^^. But it's just a feeling. For now.

I'm quite interested by Duplicacy right now. Found some articles praising it:

-For large (+5TB datasets) : "Duplicacy demolishes duplicati and rclone for large backups"

-An Ex-Crashplan/Duplicati user who is delighted by Duplicacy.

Going to try it right away.

• Sounds good ! Advantage of Duplicati is the WebUI.

Good point! One of my projects only has a small dataset. So I'll try duplicati also.

Any of those backup solutions that can make snapshots but stores them in folders with plain human readable data in original folder structures? For example, we could simply go to the latest snapshot and copy/download that folder to our computer.

• towards reliability I cant comment on because the sheer slowness of it stopped the further use of it on my side

Exactly this. I have experienced both reliability and speed issues. And database corruptions evert 2 / 3 runs. Ridiculous.

Wow, Rclone looks awesome!!!. I've seen what I could do with PowerShell and FreeFileSync recently. I think Rclone would make a great alternative to FreeFileSync also.

I was using FreeFileSync for a while and worked really well, but I used for different things. I think Rclone's plus is having a lot of flexibility. They're also developing a webGUI.

I'm sure Duplicati works fine for many users. But I have the feeling that it's not optimal for large datasets.

I faced issues as soon as I reached 300GB.

Joseph, thanks for Restic, I didn't know about it and I will look into it!

• Yeah, I'm also going to look into Restic myself sometime soon. Looks cool and seems already pretty much polished.

Just the section of the manual explaining all the wildcards for excluding folders and files is amazingly clear to understand.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions today! Appreciate it. I've discovered many good alternatives for backing up to Google Drive and other Cloud services.

• just a few comments on the products mentioned before:

- Duplicati slowness on larger datasets: I can confirm this from my test on OMV and Windows 10 platform

- Restic has a nice cross-platform GUI version, see the announcementin the Restic forum and more details from Relica

- Duplicacy has a nice cross-platform GUI version which resides "on top" of the CLI version

- GUI for Rclone: yes, the long awaited but unfortunately still in early stage resulting of GSOC project of last year I think. So I do operations on my cloud storage like delete files/folders, rename, make directory etc in a quick and reliable way with Cyberduck and hoping that Rclone finds a way to improve the GUI. I would not mind to pay for a GUI version of it so that also not that tech-savvy users could use it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von topi ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!