Looking for data backup and redundancy with a Raspberry Pi

• Offizieller Beitrag

Page 59 or so of the Getting Started with OMV 5 at this link shows you how to back up to a second disk on the same server, and here shows you how to backup to a second server on the same lan. Dirt simple.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The server can be configured to act as a client to pull and push data to remote locations'

Maybe you wanted to elaborate or point to a better example how rsync would achieve the stated goal "protect from single disc failure"?

rsync clones new or changed files to a destination. This makes it fast and works well. You can sync to a remote location but you can also sync from one folder on drive a to another folder on drive b. If drive a fails, use drive b. If you setup shares (guessing you use samba) for both folders, just switch to the folder on drive b and you are back in business. A small manual step but worth it on non-server grade hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

In addition rsync allows you to efficiently have several versioned snapshot style hard linked backup copies. Each snapshot looks like a full copy, but (almost) only takes up storage needed to store new or modified files since the previous snapshot. Even if you have RAID, you still need backups to handle user errors and mistakes deleting or overwriting data. And if you have good versioned backups, chances are that you don't really need RAID.

For commercial settings RAID may be needed, in addition to backups, to provide high availability. But then I somehow doubt any SBCs and USB3 connected HDDs are used.

However, rsync backups/clones are not enough, in themselves, to provide bitrot protection. Then further measures are needed. Checksums and so on. This may be relevant for long term storage or archival of valuable assets. Some filesystems with redundancy are able to provide bitrot protection.

• Page 59 or so of the Getting Started with OMV 5 at this link shows you how to back up to a second disk on the same server, and here shows you how to backup to a second server on the same lan. Dirt simple.

Thanks Agricola, I always assumed that the online manual on https://openmediavault.readthe…sync.html?highlight=rsync is identical with the PDF manual, but now I see a big difference and wonder if this is intentional.

I'm guilty (as most other users too) of not reading a full manual these days :(

Hence a BIG improvement of online help, would be a link to a wiki-type version of the pdf.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hence a BIG improvement of online help, would be a link to a wiki-type version of the pdf.

Reading this recent Mozilla announcement 'wiki-type' is more likely better expressed as 'documentation-as-code' using GitHub's contribution workflow as mention in the announcement

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Reading this recent Mozilla announcement 'wiki-type' is more likely better expressed as 'documentation-as-code' using GitHub's contribution workflow as mention in the announcement

I didn't read the link yet but maybe you could submit a pull request to the docs repo converting the pdf to the new style? https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/docs

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks Agricola, I always assumed that the online manual on https://openmediavault.readthe…sync.html?highlight=rsync is identical with the PDF manual, but now I see a big difference and wonder if this is intentional.

The wiki was written for experienced users. It's an abbreviated guide for those who understand most of the details regarding RAID, Rsync and backup. The PDF was written with new users in mind, with a bit more detail regarding concepts, processes and considerations.

• @ryecoaaron and @Adoby unfortunately it seems we are not on the same page yet, likely due to different technical background & approaches

Let's try a fresh start by looking at requirements and budget.

Budget: 300 Euro

Requirements:

- 4 TB usable disc space

- protected against common hard drive failures (user errors excluded!)

Prerequisites met:

- administrator of solution has only OMV GUI and no rsync & Linux command line skills

- RPi 4 with 4GB available

Questions:

- How would you spend the budget to achieve the goals?

- What documents explain administration and troubleshooting /fixing of errors?

• I didn't read the link yet but maybe you could submit a pull request to the docs repo converting the pdf to the new style? https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/docs

Well this is a major change, hence some conversations and a common agreement to go this route would be a prerequisite before starting the work. Should this conversation better move to a new thread?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should this conversation better move to a new thread?

Yep. And since crashtest maintains the pdf, I would say he should be involved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would advice against trying to do it. Without good backups and elementary command line skills, a NAS is a disaster waiting to happen.

• rsync is available from the GUI of OMV out of the box

Thanks, but how does it help to overcome the real challenge 'To construct the appropriate command line' as outlined on page 60 of Getting_Started-OMV5.pdf?

• I would advice against trying to do it. Without good backups and elementary command line skills, a NAS is a disaster waiting to happen.

Well this a quite unexpected answer. Personally I wouldn't be so pessimistic because for the average user a NAS is still a major improvement compared to infrequent backups to USB-Sticks or mobile HDDs.

I was an early adopter of HP's Windows 2003 HomeServer and used it to perform automated daily backups on 4 laptops for several years.

Unfortunately at that time the investment required was > 1000 Euros hence the market was small and the product got abandoned for a number of reasons incl technical issues with the special purpose file system..

I'm still looking for a tool having a comparable ease-of-use for low skilled admins and still see OMV as a very promising solution.

From my view, with a little more focus on usability for defined scenarios, OMV on RPi4 + 2 HDDs would become a 'killer' appliance.

I use the term "appliance" deliberately as it means a pre-configured & sealed setup for a clearly defined requirement.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree. A RPi4 with two drives is a great platform for a home NAS.

With one drive for shared data and the other for backups, using rsync. Either from the GUI or from scripts run by crontab. If you don't know how to do it, and are not willing/capable to learn how to do it, and you don't have any friend to show you, then OMV is not for you.

• rsync is available from the GUI of OMV out of the box

Indeed, but I just wonder whether it is reliable enough. I am currently trying to change the harddrives in my two HC2s. I did change one and wanted to get all data the from the old drive A to the new drive B, both machines running OMV. The data is approx. 3,5TB

I configured rsync, but with the scheduled job it only copied for an hour or so. Then it stopped. If I execute the rsync job manually via the OMV GUI it runs but once the computer is going into standby rsync seems to stop, too. Is this behaviour intentional? I doubt it.

I am now wondering whether my problems occur because the data is too big (which would be ridiculous) or if I have done something wrong in order to achieve a disco to be copied from machine A to machine B ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you run rsync in a normal SSH shell, and close the shell, then rsync will also close. You pulled the rug out from under it.

The solution is to use a "detached" SSH shell using screen.

Then you can run a commond, close the window for the SSH shell, and the rsync command will continue to run. And later you can reconnect to the detached SSH shell to see if rsync is done.

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-linux-screen/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks, but how does it help to overcome the real challenge 'To construct the appropriate command line' as outlined on page 60 of Getting_Started-OMV5.pdf?

You don't have to use the CLI. You can setup the rsync job in the GUI of OMV. Just define shared folders for source and target and setup the job.

OMV is there to make things simple ;)

• You don't have to use the CLI. You can setup the rsync job in the GUI of OMV. Just define shared folders for source and target and setup the job.

OMV is there to make things simple ;)

That's true. And it should go for big folders as well, correct? I recently ran into the problems with copying one big shared folder. Rsync just quit. Now I manually copy the files via SMB share to the new destination and then I will setup rsync again with different folders.

Just to clarify: Rsync does the job without the need of being logged in into the OMV user interface, correct? Just if I run the job manually the OMV GUI has to remain open?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. If you use OMV to run rsync scheduled, it will run OK.

However you can only use shared folders as source and destination.

Also this method, naturally, only works on OMV.

I use the Linux standard scheduling mechanism, crontab, to automatically run scripts that in turn run rsync. That method works on any Linux computer and for any file or folder. And it also allows you to mount and unmount drives and use advanced features of rsync. For instance I use rsync to create versioned snapshots with unchanged files hardlinked from the previous snapshot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!