OMV system hdd replacement

• Dear all,

SMART monitoring of my omv main system hdd starts to report prefail errors which is not good....

I would like to replace it asap. I have only a few plugins installed, but i'm worried about my Plex db or that the plex data would be gone...

I found this thread: RE: Replacement main drive

and would start with cloning my hdd (to same or bigger size) - any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

• Clone the drive as soon as you can.

It's not a good idea to have the Plex db or your media files on the system drive. If these are on your system drive you should consider moving them to a data drive at some point.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Allright, I will start with cloning the drive. Maybe I will come back to this thread after I checked back if my plex data is on the system drive, or on the data drive. Allready checked that - Database is on another hdd...

Thx!

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

• sry for a maybe stupid question... never cloned a linux system before.

After a successful cloning process I connected the new drive and started the system... and can only see a blinking "j" on the screen...

what went wrong? or what can I do better?

• Can't suggest what went wrong when you didn't describe exactly how you did the cloning.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ok, I took out the original drive, put it into my usb3 dockingstation, used minipartiontool (on a windows pc), told it to copy the drive, waited till finished.

• Not clear to me what the "minipartiontool " does. If it copies only the partitions, that is not the same thing as cloning the entire disk.

--

• ok - thanks for that hint. MiniPartionTool Free Edition has no "Cloning" function, only copy...

trying something else

• Clonezilla is the usually suggested program for cloning disks.

I use dd.

--

• sry for asking again. Used Clonezilla (live from usb) and cloned the drive in beginner mode disk2disk... but after connecting the new drive system tells me about many many errors on sda1. After changing back to the original drive everything is working again (no errors).

Got no errors during cloning...

Ideas what went wrong, or what to change?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Parador ()

• No, I did not verify (think there was no option for that in "not expert" mode)

Yes, used same port, cable, place....

Clonezilla was not started on omv hardware (cause no other free sata port), the new drive ist larger than the old

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I did not verify (think there was no option for that in "not expert" mode)

Could be it is only available when saving a drive to an image. That is what I usually do. But it is not your use case.

Clonezilla was not started on omv hardware (cause no other free sata port)

That should not matter.

Any chance the drive is damaged?

• I think next step I'll do is taking an image of that drive...

maybe I could verify the data after that

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Parador ()

• At the moment everything looks fine. Used clonzilla to take an image, verified it, everything ok.

After that, restored that image, verified again, everything ok.

Replaced the old drive with the new drive, everything ok and OMV working fine.

Thanks for your help

• Parador

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!