MariaDB installed directly onto the OS and not in docker container

• After a successfully installation of a new OMV5 server, I want to keep the installation simple and clean and not to add multiple layers especially using docker containers. It will be used only for Shared Folders in local network and DB server for KODI player.

In this case, please let me know if you recommend the manually installation of the MariaBD SQL Sever directly into the OS like any other Debian package instead of docker container.

What are the concerns about this approach?

Thank you.

The Power of the Power Button!
    OMV 4.x // Hardware: HP N36L Microserver (BIOS mod), 4GB RAM, 2x1TB WD Red + 2x2TB ST, 160GB for OMV

OMV 5.x // Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8, 4GB RAM, 2x4TB WD + 2x2TB ST, 160GB for OMV

• Sorry, but nobody has an opinion about installing the MariaBD SQL Sever directly into the OS?

Can will interfere with other OMV configurations?

Thanks.

OMV 4.x // Hardware: HP N36L Microserver (BIOS mod), 4GB RAM, 2x1TB WD Red + 2x2TB ST, 160GB for OMV

OMV 5.x // Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8, 4GB RAM, 2x4TB WD + 2x2TB ST, 160GB for OMV

• It won't interfere with your OpenMediaVault configuration since it doesn't use MySQL/MariaDB.

So if you want to avoid the docker layer, since you're not feeling for it, install it on your host instead.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi all,

Thank you for your opinions. I will go with installing MariaDB directly on the host.

For me, even if I work in IT, to use containerization just for a simple data base for my KODI player, will imply additional work for maintaining a complicated solution for a little and simple thing.

I use OMV for more then 4 years now, since ver. 2, and I like it especially because it's simple, robust and easy to maintain.

And for that I wish for all developers and maintainers all the best for their good work.

Good luck!

• Docker is maintained automatically if you use solutions like watchtower which update containers automagically.

Once a container is set, it works and you forget it's in Docker.

Moreover, the less you install in the main OS, less likely an upgrade or something else will screw up.

• Hello friends of OMV :)

I searched for Infos and found this thread.

Is there an simple tutorial how to get MySQL or MariaDB working on OVM?

I come from qnap and later from Synology. It is very simple to instal the MariaDB Package and PHPAdmin for administration there.

But now - on OMV it seems a little difficult.

I already installed OMV-Extras and the docker thing... But I am new into this, just want a simple SQL DB for two KODI instances and don't know what to do next...

Can someone help me with a simple step by step guide?

Install OMV extras - check

Install Docker - check

Install Portainer - check

What to do next?

:S thank u

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Also fell over this thread. In same situation as "Kamikaze01" and "hunt3rus"
    The guide I have been able to find on mariaDB/Docker, (which escapes me for the moment) was for OMV4, which apparently had a docker control panel under "Services"
    I don't have that. "Only" Portainer and Yacht.
    Then you start wondering whether your installation is broken.

Then I found an instance of TechnoDad. He is installing NextCloud which uses MariaDB. I'd like to install NextCloud at some point, so great.

Then I reached this statement:

------

in OMV-extras | settings

• select suitable "Docker Storage" path

------

Then I'm at loss.

1) I don't have that setting

2) I'd be hard pressed to judge if the path was "suitable"

3) Guessing it was another word for "repo" i flipped the "Extras repo" switch.

As the well trained dog I am, I naturally applied configuration when the system asked me for that

Flipping the switch back to "off" has not resolved the matter.....

I keep getting the error.

So installing on MariaDB directly on the OS would get me done in ½ an evening. now I have spent like 3 evenings trying to get my head around dockers, portainer and what have we.

But I keep meting things as above that I cannot bridge easily.

As "KM0201" suggests above, I can also go to docker/mariadb. But then I need to convert something from

Starting a MariaDB instance is simple:
    $ docker run -p 127.0.0.1:3306:3306 --name some-mariadb -e MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD=my-secret-pw -d mariadb:tag

into stacks.....

Which probably is pretty simple for those who has crossed that learning curve.

Pointers and ideas will be appreciated

/Henrik

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!