Watchdog restarting server.

• Hi

I've just moved onto a new server hardware I was running this first for a couple of weeks just turned on with the os booted and had no issues system stayed up.

Since moving my raid and is drive over randomly from a day to a week I will find the server at the Dell post screen saying the watchdog timer reset the system and to press F1 to continue etc.

The idrac logs only state the following.

Sat Jul 11 2020 17:24:32The watchdog timer reset the system.

blank.gif Sat Jul 11 2020 17:24:32a problem was detected during Power-On Self-Test (POST).

I can't see anything in omv logs but not sure really where to look.

Has anyone got any ideas it's driving me crazy. Because of this when the server boots the dockers also start sooner then the file system so I have to restart all the containers so they load correctly I can't seem to find a way to resolve this either.

Cheers Chris.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• I think you should ask this in a Dell forum because it is a hardware issue that is not related to software (OMV/Linux).

Ok thanks. Just can't work out why it's doing it as can't find anything in the Dell logs to say it's hardware. If it was the os watchdog are there any logs I should look at to try identify the issue.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• The syslog should contain the necessary information in that case.

thanks. None of the info in there looks like it could be the problem to me well nothing obvious saying look at me.

Posted on the Dell forums they said turn it off in bios which it is allready so they said turn it on then see, other then that all I got was openmediavault isn't a supported os for there hardware.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• You can simply disable the watchdog daemon if it still makes trouble by running

Code
    # systemctl disable watchdog.service
    # systemctl stop watchdog.service

But isn't it a needed service?

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• No, it will only take care that the system is rebooted if something strange happens. This is a useful feature for headless servers. But it is not a service that is really required to run the NAS.

I will try a a few things maybe even a reinstall of the os or changing the Dell server back to bios mode instead of uefi see if that stops it happening.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• No, it will only take care that the system is rebooted if something strange happens. This is a useful feature for headless servers. But it is not a service that is really required to run the NAS.

the issue appears to be with NFS switched all my devices to use SMB and the issues have now stopped. someone linked another thread with similar issues where it appears the kernel is the issue and downgrading resolves the issue but since I've switched all my devices i haven't tested.

OMV 5 - 64 bit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!