CacheFS issues

• Trying a few things out here to get my OMV5 nas performance upto snuff. I really like/need mergerfs but the overhead definately bottlenecks the main share using it. Even on 10gbe the mergerfs/nfs share is stuck at around 50mb/s write with a "sync" mount and it's too bursty, but not really any faster with "async" mount. After looking around a bit I decided to give cachefs a try, but I ran into an issue:

I've mostly followed this https://blog.frehi.be/2019/01/03/fs-cache-for-nfs-clients/ but I get an error trying to start the service.

Code
    ~# systemctl start cachefilesd
    Job for cachefilesd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status cachefilesd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    root@openmediavault:~#

I don't see anything worth looking at in journalctl. The tutorial mentions a Debian bug that is supposed to be fixed by editing the /etc/cachefilesd.conf and commenting out this line:

Code
    #secctx system_u:system_r:cachefiles_kernel_t:s0

But it's already commented out in the Debian package.

The server side fstab mount for the cache ssd is

Code
    # fscache
    UUID=a86f82b3-b4e8-49df-9162-532f7bb108d4 /var/cache/fscache ext4 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 2

I read elsewhere that user_xattr is important for this but I'm not sure it matters for getting the service to start. Any ideas?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!