Can't login

• For some reason I can't reach the WebGUI anymore, tried with different ports, but to no avail.

Also can't add the network drive to Windows, if I type \\OMV in the explorer bar I can access it tho.

What would be a good setup, currently running OMV from a SD-card i na SD-card reader, but I want/can upgrade it to a small SSD ~120GB and I think I want some redundant storage as well, currently only 1 HDD in it, but I want to go to four 2TB drives.

How do I copy everything again? Can I just plug the SSD in, reinstall OMV or will I lose my data?

Also want to run PiHole, Docker and a few other things, is this still viable?

I was thinking about making a Windows server and putting OMV in a VM or as a program, if that's possible, since I need to experiment more with WS2019.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What would be a good setup, currently running OMV from a SD-card i na SD-card reader, but I want/can upgrade it to a small SSD ~120GB

Sounds like a good idea. Removes one point of failure. And with a ssd of 120GB you might be able to have docker on that ssd.

I think I want some redundant storage as well, currently only 1 HDD in it, but I want to go to four 2TB drives.

Why 4x 2 TB and not 1x 8 TB?

How do I copy everything again? Can I just plug the SSD in, reinstall OMV or will I lose my data?

I understand you have OMV on the SD card and the data on your hdd. If that is true, you can install OMV on a ssd, boot the server with the hdd connected, mount the hdd and create shared folders pointing at the existing folders on the hdd.

Unless you something very stupid (like installing OMV on the hdd) your data will be safe.

Also want to run PiHole, Docker and a few other things, is this still viable?

Depends on your hardware, but most likely not a problem.

• Sounds like a good idea. Removes one point of failure. And with a ssd of 120GB you might be able to have docker on that ssd.

Why 4x 2 TB and not 1x 8 TB?

I understand you have OMV on the SD card and the data on your hdd. If that is true, you can install OMV on a ssd, boot the server with the hdd connected, mount the hdd and create shared folders pointing at the existing folders on the hdd.

Unless you something very stupid (like installing OMV on the hdd) your data will be safe.

Depends on your hardware, but most likely not a problem.

On mobile and not sure how to respond per quote, so will do my best.

I have gotten two SSD’s with dram, both 250gb, so maybe a cache drive is a thing?

Is redundancy not important? I want to make sure I have something in case my drive fails.

That’s correct, installed it on a SD-card, but will be re-installing it in mentioned SSD’s in my new server I have gotten for free. It’ll be a old gen8 server or something like that with 6c/12t(*2).

The hardware will be a server I’ve gotten, I was thinking about installing Windows server on it and OMV in it and in there or in WS itself PiHole, it’s possible with Docker, which runs natively on Windows, just not sure if OMV will run in Docker(I am not very experienced with all this, it’s a learning curve as well).

Basically what I want is, preferably;

-Windows(server)

-a NAS system, OMV preferably

-Docker for getting more experienced with it and heard its easy and great to install ‘stuff’.

-some gamserver(s) which I know how to setup in Windows.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is redundancy not important? I want to make sure I have something in case my drive fails.

Backup. You always need backup. Have a look at my signature.

Instead of RAID several people here on the forum do prefer to use rsync or rsnapshot. First drive is the main drive. Then use rsync to make copies or rsnapshot to make snapshots on the second drive. The snapshots give you the opportunity to go back in time, so to restore previous versions of files and even deleted files.

My thoughts about... RAID

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!