How do I remount a MergerFS mount point without rebooting the system?

• I've added a drive to a MergerFS pool and the message that pops up is NOTE:The changes won't take effect until you've restarted the system or manually remounted the filesystem. How do I do a manual remount? I tried /srv/fb803389-0bb8-46c5-92c6-e96a213e4c77 -o remount but I get the following message

fuse: mountpoint is not empty 

fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

Is it safe to use the 'nonempty' option in this case?

OMV7 | Xeon W-1250 | 48 GB | Linux 6.5 PVE

• Look in the mountpoint to see why you are getting this error.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I had the same issue, maybe it can be of some help because I haven't found the answer anywhere.

I have added a folder to an existing mergerfs mountpoint, then thanks to the mergerfs README I have installed attr running sudo apt install attr

I navigated to my mergerfs mountpoint and executed sudo getfattr -n user.mergerfs.srcmounts .mergerfs to view the srcmounts contents, I've edited them to match the mountpoints that are set in the webUI and then I've executed sudo setfattr -n user.mergerfs.srcmounts -v /mnt/xxx:/mnt/yyy/ .mergerfs

Everything appears to be working fine without having rebooted

• Offizieller Beitrag

just add nonempty to your mount options in fstab and call sudo mount -a

Created an account just to post this as I found this before finding my answer ;-D

If you need this option, your mountpoint has files in it. You should cleanup those files instead of using nonempty.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure what you are telling me. I understand how nonempty works. I am just stating that it is normally bad to use because it will hide the fact that something like rsync might have copied a lot of files to the mountpoint when your pool was not mounted.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Q1. In omv6, Storage, mergerfs, when a mergerfs pool is marked as shared, can the Restart pool be used? It produces an error for me.

Q2. Is mergerfs a pool marked as Shared if there are defined shares within the pool? I have not shared the pool itself, just made shares on dirs within the mergerfs pool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can the Restart pool be used? It produces an error for me.

The command itself doesn't care if it is shared but you may run into issues if the mount is actively used. What is the error?

Is mergerfs a pool marked as Shared if there are defined shares within the pool?

It will show as shared if you create sharedfolders in the OMV web interface that reference the pool. What you do outside of OMV will never be known to the plugin.

• What is the error?

In a red message box (bottom center of web ui) is displayed the following

500 - Internal Server Error

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; systemctl restart srv-mergerfs-mfsp.mount' with exit code '1':

I had lan connected pc's with file managers viewing parts of the shares, and highly probable that there were open files also.

create sharedfolders in the OMV web interface

Yes, shares were created via web ui

What you do outside of OMV will never be known to the plugin.

I'll keep that in mind.

• I followed troubleshooting steps from this thread and got it mounted without rebooting! Thank you.
    mergerfs filesystem suddenly not mounted and can't seem to find a way to get it back

I would say journalctl did not explain why it lost mount. but i am happy to fix it without reboot. next time i lose mount again i will dig through logs immediately to see if i can find a cause.

I get the same error. My server seems to drop mount every 2 or 3 months. I don't know the trigger. tired of reboot being the fix.

Is there an OMV cheatsheet for digging through the logs and finding out why my mergerfs drops mount?

If i try to refresh mergerfs mount in the gui i get the error below.

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; systemctl restart srv-ae0f5928\x2d3495\x2d4ef8\x2d9e08\x2d3cfa3665428d.mount' with exit code '5': 

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; systemctl restart srv-ae0f5928\x2d3495\x2d4ef8\x2d9e08\x2d3cfa3665428d.mount' with exit code '5':  in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:217
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/mergerfs.inc(197): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 5)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceMergerfs->restartPool(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('restartPool', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Mergerfs', 'restartPool', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

Also i did try some commands in the CLI.

Initially i got.

mount -a

mount: /export/data: mount(2) system call failed: Transport endpoint is not connected.

I then did a umount.
    umount -l /srv/ae0f5928-3495-4ef8-9e08-3cfa3665428d

but then mount -a reported different error.
    mount: /export/data: mount point does not exist.

i don't know how to get my mergerfs mount to come back now. i have to reboot.

IF there is a cheat sheet to follow or some guide for me to dig into the logs for troubleshooting mergerfs let me know.
    Just really want to note down the fixes in my notes.

I feel so defeated having to reboot and not know why!. :(

• What does the mergerfs "Restart Pool" do? I have to run this after every single reboot, so I'd like to build it into a CLI script.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think this is it but I'm not sure. I don't have the plugin installed. Can you upload a picture of the menu in the GUI and tell what it's doing?

openmediavault-mergerfs/default.sls at main · OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/openmediavault-mergerfs
    openmediavault plugin for mergerfs. Contribute to OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/openmediavault-mergerfs development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

• thanks but systemctl restart mergerfs does not work. And its not quite clear to me from the document what "unitname" otherwise should be.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!