plex- can't implement library's correctly

• Plex can't do anything with files it can't read. And if the volume or bind that is pointed to by /config isn't writable by Plex, there can be no Library at all.

As I have repeatedly said, this is the number one problem seen. Nothing else even comes close.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Plex can't do anything with files it can't read. And if the volume or bind that is pointed to by /config isn't writable by Plex, there can be no Library at all.

Touché about the config. Left that out of the equation when thinking about it.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• The container log would probably have something to say about an unwritable /config. But I doubt it cares or could even know if the media is unreadable.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• First of all thank you all for your help.

No I will try to answer all you answers.

Yes, post file permissions.

Your PUID and PGID. Where did you get the number 1000 from? Do you have a real user and group on your system with those values or did you just copy them from some video or howto?

PUID and PGID is from the user pi. I thought that might be right, but as I'm reading its not.

So I should use PUID and PGID from a user that I've created in OMV right? Thanks what I tried earlier and hat the same problems, that's why I thought the user pi would be better.

User daniel for example hast PUID 1001 and PGID 100.

This should be file permission:

...he maybe resetted via the reset-permissions plugin and thus the files are 777 or 666 respective, too...

Not that I know and if yes, not on purpose... :)

Did you even add the /tv /filme etc. folders to your library in plex?

Yes I did.

I hope I answered all the needed questions.

• User daniel will be fine. Change the PUID and PGID in the Plex docker to be PUID 1001 and PGID 100. But that is not going to be the full solution.

A screenshot is not the way to communicate a file listing. Copy all the text from the terminal and paste it into a code box on the forum.

--

• User daniel will be fine. Change the PUID and PGID in the Plex docker to be PUID 1001 and PGID 100. But that is not going to be the full solution.

A screenshot is not the way to communicate a file listing. Copy all the text from the terminal and paste it into a code box on the forum.

Okay I will change this, here are the complete screenshot:

• Change the properties of the files as follows by entering the below commands in a root shell:

Code
    cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume4TB/media/Aufnahmen/6000/movie
    chown -R daniel:users *
    chmod 644 *

Assuming Plex will actually play those .ts files, I have to ask why you don't have RIPS in .mkv or .mp4 that are a more reasonable size? I could never afford to collect and store media files that large. But to each his own :)

--

• Change the properties of the files as follows by entering the below commands in a root shell:

Code
    chmod 644 *

Assuming Plex will actually play those .ts files, I have to ask why you don't have RIPS in .mkv or .mp4 that are a more reasonable size? I could never afford to collect and store media files that large. But to each his own :)

These are recordings from my satellite receiver. Thats because why they are that big.

I have also other files, If you know what I mean.

No it looks like this:

I restartet plex but I have this problem. Why are there 4 more NAS entry's?

And now he can't find anything:

• The problem you are showing now is not related to permissions. It looks like you haven't claimed the server yet. Do you have a plex.tv account yet?

What docker image are you using and where did you get it? Have you read the documentation there?

--

• The problem you are showing now is not related to permissions. It looks like you haven't claimed the server yet. Do you have a plex.tv account yet?

What docker image are you using and where did you get it? Have you read the documentation there?

yes, I have plex-tv account.

docker version: 5:19.03.12~3-0~debian-buster

• I meant the plex image not the docker program.

Is the plex server signed into your plex account?

Connect to plex in your browser and post a full screenshot of it.

--

Code
    chmod 644 *

That will remove the traverse Folder bit from the folders which is not a good idea either, since it can cause issues for samba etc.

Rather use

Code
    cd /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume4TB/media/
    find . -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
    find . -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

This is also the same command that the resetperms plugin uses.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I meant the plex image not the docker program.

Is the plex server signed into your plex account?

Connect to plex in your browser and post a full screenshot of it.

I'm a bit confused now, should I do this now?!

• You are still confused. I want to know which plex docker image you are using, where you got it from, and if you have read any of the documentation that comes with it. Not the version of the docker program in OMV, and not the version of Plex Web.

There was only one sub-directory in your movie folder so you can fix it like this:

chmod 755 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume4TB/media/Aufnahmen/6000/movie/Papierkorb

You will have to correct the permissions and ownership of all your media files and folders. But for now just concentrate on getting things working for the Filme library.

Have you tried editing the Filme library in Plex and adding directories to it yet? Right now it is empty.

If you can't get things working my next suggestion will be to delete the container and start over with a proper plan.

--

• You are still confused. I want to know which plex docker image you are using, where you got it from, and if you have read any of the documentation that comes with it. Not the version of the docker program in OMV, and not the version of Plex Web.

I posted the tutorial in the first post...

There was only one sub-directory in your movie folder so you can fix it like this:

chmod 755 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Volume4TB/media/Aufnahmen/6000/movie/Papierkorb

You will have to correct the permissions and ownership of all your media files and folders. But for now just concentrate on getting things working for the Filme library.

Should I do this will all the folders in the Filme folder? I mean I will do this but I just wondering because I installed plex on docker before and had no problems till now. Couldn't be easier to delete the user and deinstall the plex container and start all over again?

Have you tried editing the Filme library in Plex and adding directories to it yet? Right now it is empty.

Yes I tried to edit the library and adding the directories. But it won't work

• I am not going to watch a video to obtain the answer to a question I asked of you.

There would be no need to delete the user. Removing the Plex container and starting over might be in your future but you are just as likely to wind up in the same place with the same problems.

The correct permissions and ownerships must be in place on all your media files and folders, and on the folder where your Plex docker /config points to.

--

• I am not going to watch a video to obtain the answer to a question I asked of you.

If you would just say where I can find the plex docker version what you've asking for it would be easier for me and you...

This?!

There would be no need to delete the user. Removing the Plex container and starting over might be in your future but you are just as likely to wind up in the same place with the same problems.

Okay I understand.

Do I get this right that I have to this:

...for each directory and each file? If yes, this will takes very long...

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to start over, I suggest to use a docker-compose file like explained here

[How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose

you can run the docker-compose file in portainer. There is a link in the post how to do it.

If you are still having troubles, post the docker-compose file you used here, so gderf might be able to help.

Delete the config folder first and do not create a new one. The docker-compose file will create it with the correct permissions.

EDIT: also delete the container of plex in portainer

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!