How do I pin point the bottleneck for slow file transfer speed?

• I'm trying to locate the bottleneck for why transfers on my OMV server cap around 50 MB/s. Drives are all connected via SATA, OMV server is connected via gigabit, the computer I transfer to/from is connected via gigabit, all my cables are cat5e or cat6, switches are all gigabit.

I was using the same computer/hard drives/ethernet cables/switches when I was running Win10 as my server OS a few weeks ago and was getting 110-112 MB/s transfers on/off the server. But since I switched from Win10 to OMV, have never been able to hit those numbers.

Since then, I originally thought it was because my drives were formatted NTFS so reformatted them all to EXT4, (moving TBs of data around from one HD to another, which was a pain), but even after completely getting rid of NTFS, speed cap still seems to be the same.

Hard drive to Hard drive transfer (both on OMV server, both drives connected via SATA, both EXT4 format)

OMV server to Computer transfer (over ethernet)

Any thoughts or idea on what I can try next?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This article is a bit dated but may help understand transfer speeds on your LAN.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!