One disk install: Gparted VS Debian-first method.

• Why not simply try both and decide for yourself.

Shouldn't take long.

The installation process can even be succeful for both methods, but it is not only about get the job done. I'd like to know which one is the best and why, also if either of them can go through some issues after a while. Maybe other expert OMV users can give their thoughts. Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian first method gives some more possibilities during the installation. There are some cases where this method worked better than using the ISO.

After you installed Debian you will run the installation script*, which installs OMV, OMV-extras and the flashmemory-plugin (unless you exclude it). That might be something you want or not. In any case you can remove, what is not needed after that.

Some user had issues with booting after they shrunk the partition. In some cases is was because they did not move swap to the left.

No matter which route you go, you should end up with a very similar system. Any difference can be removed later, if needed, by adding or removing packages.

I would go the debian-first route. But there is no reason to overthink this.

*) I assume, as I did not watch the videos

• ok, I'll go for the debian-first route then. Thanks

• I always proceed like this: I do the one disk installation with OMV and then shrink the system partition and create a new "data" partition using gparted as described in this tutorial (in german):

https://www.technikaffe.de/anl…rung_der_systemfestplatte

The data partition on the OMV disk (SSD) I only use for disposable data like tvheadend recordings. All addtional drives I use fore "real" data.

• I've never had success installing from the OMV iso, so I've always installed Debian first so that I could partition the disk as I wanted. Just this week I installed omv5 using the iso into a VM. Couple things to note, the omv iso will make a swap partition the same size as your ram, so you need to have an install disk that is equal to your ram plus about 2 gig minimum for the filesystem. So with a 10gb virtual hard drive, I was able to install omv5, but then there was not enough room to install updates. I turned swap off, removed the 8gb swap partition, resized the main partition and now it works great.

I prefer not to put data on the OS drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never had success installing from the OMV iso, so I've always installed Debian first so that I could partition the disk as I wanted. Just this week I installed omv5 using the iso into a VM. Couple things to note, the omv iso will make a swap partition the same size as your ram, so you need to have an install disk that is equal to your ram plus about 2 gig minimum for the filesystem. So with a 10gb virtual hard drive, I was able to install omv5, but then there was not enough room to install updates. I turned swap off, removed the 8gb swap partition, resized the main partition and now it works great.

If you are installing OMV in a virtual machine, why not do the install with 1gb of ram (or even 512mb) during the install and increase it to what you need after? I have install OMV from the ISO in VMs thousands of times with the ISO and never had an issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you are installing OMV in a virtual machine, why not do the install with 1gb of ram (or even 512mb) during the install and increase it to what you need after? I have install OMV from the ISO in VMs thousands of times with the ISO and never had an issue.

Now that I know that, that would be the easiest thing to do. However, I still prefer to run without any swap. I have a swap partition on my laptop only because it needs it for hibernation.

Installing from the omv iso is pretty easy and I will use it going forward. Does documentation exist that explains the partition requirements of the omv iso installer?

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, I still prefer to run without any swap

If your VM has that much ram, it won't use swap anyway.

Installing from the omv iso is pretty easy and I will use it going forward. Does documentation exist that explains the partition requirements of the omv iso installer?

Good question. I don't read the OMV docs but maybe it is in https://openmediavault.readthedocs.io/en/5.x/?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe those docs should be linked from the homepage?

They are. If you go to openmediavault.org and scroll down to the Support -> Documentation link, that is where it takes you.

Here's the prereqs: https://openmediavault.readthe….x/prerequisites.html#id7

It can be inferred but doesn't explicitly say how much swap will be created.

The docs are user editable (haven't done it myself though). You could add the info you think would help people. I couldn't even find the swap size created by the Debian installer in the Debian docs.

• They are. If you go to openmediavault.org and scroll down to the Support -> Documentation link, that is where it takes you.

The docs are user editable (haven't done it myself though). You could add the info you think would help people. I couldn't even find the swap size created by the Debian installer in the Debian docs.

I didn't see the link at the bottom of the page. DOH!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!