Portainer: Facing Gitea (GIT) over the Internet

• First, are the tutorials/videos for "NextCloud" applicable/helpful for making general things face the internet? I've seen a few of those and they look like they should be.

I have Gitea (a git repo) working in a docker. I setup it up with Portainer as a "Stack". The only problem I had was that the Gitea and Postgres servers defaulted to "localhost", which made the repo localhost as well. I hardwired it to "192.168.1..." and it is now working, although I'm not sure about that if it's going to face the internet.

I've read several tutorials and have watched several videos on doing this various ways (especially for "NextCloud"). I can configure the router, buy a VPS or http host or a free duckDNS... whatever. But any tips, or in particular pitfalls to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Portainer is nice! :) I don't remember anything like that existing when I used Docker last (~6 years ago). The way I remembered Docker was that it was just you and a lonely text editor (and accidental recursive/overloaded assignments making you doubt your sanity). Portainer's text editor even has like a little breakpoint'ish indicator!! Really nice! :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you follow this guide

[How-To] Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose

you can just skip nextcloud and mariadb and use gitea instead. There is a gitea.subdomain.conf and a gitea.subfolder.conf provided by the letsencrypt container.

• EDIT: Never mind, these are the inbound ports from the internet/ISP, so assume nothing that I know of needs those ports already, it should be fine (unless the ISP has the blocked, at which point I'll have to look into other ways).

O.K., I'm about to try your guide, but will mapping 80:81 and 443:444 to OMV stop other computers on the network from accessing those ports? Will all other machines have no internet/port 80 access?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Every IP has its own ports. So you have

192.168.0.1:80

192.168.0.2:80

and so on internally (LAN).

Then your router has another IP, e.g 123.456.123.456 and also a port 80. This is the WAN side

So the port mapping here is mapping the WAN to the LAN

123.456.123.456:80 --> 192.168.0.1:80

This mapping can be done only one. So form the WAN you can have access on port 80 only on one local (LAN) machine.

Also this might be helpful: https://blog.linuxserver.io/20…t-mapping-and-forwarding/

• Thank you macom, you're extremely helpful!!

Following your tutorial I had NextCloud working first try, so I know it can be done and my ISP ports are open, so thank you very much again!

I'll have to scrutinize the gitea docker a little more, as the compose file I'm using doesn't work with my edits to it (to be expected until I read more). Besides the reading on that, I am assuming that the sample.conf that came with letsencrypt *can* work *if* needed, but I'll have to learn how to _NOT_ run a webserver by default, as one mainly only ever needs to use ssh to access git. I bluntly clipped the webserver in gitea, but it seems gitea expects you to always have it up and not just on call (again, just more reading). Lastly, I'll just have to keep reading (somewhere) to understand how to setup letsencrypt in the case where a webserver *might* exist but does not by default, which is where my confusion/concern really is.

In case anyone else was wondering where these sampl.conf's are: linuxserver / reverse-proxy-confs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!