Hold current kernel?

• Stupid question, as my Google Fu is failing me - does "Hold Current Kernel" ensure it's not lost? Or prevent it from being used?

(I presume the former?)

I've got issues with 5.6.0 causing random NMIs, and 5.5.0 is rock solid so don't want to lose it. I've set 5.5.0 as default either way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

does "Hold Current Kernel" ensure it's not lost? Or prevent it from being used?

It executes apt-mark hold which will prevent the kernel from being updated by apt. Since you have 5.6 installed already, there is little reason to hold the kernel. Personally, I would try the proxmox kernel (will stay on 5.4) and if it is stable, remove the debian kernels.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure. But I consider the proxmox kernel to better tested than the Debian Backports kernel. Not only is it the Ubuntu LTS kernel but it is also tested against the Debian userland in Proxmox. So, it is very good for OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Presume it gets updates and we can switch back?

Yep. I run it on almost all of my OMV systems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron

i have kernel not updating automatically with apt update and apt-dist upgrade i saw there are no packages on hold with apt-mark showhold command but i see kernels in manual, how can i solve this?

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# sudo apt install linux-headers-5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-headers-5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 is already the newest version (5.9.6-1~bpo10+1).
    linux-headers-5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  • 5.9 headers are installed but nod in grub or updated by grub (actually i still use 5.7 for compatibility with veeam agent)

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.9 headers are installed but nod in grub or updated by grub (actually i still use 5.7 for compatibility with veeam agent)

I don't understand what problem you are having. The headers don't have anything to do with grub. The kernel does. And the other problem is that some plugins depend on the linux-headers-amd64 package which will only point to the latest kernel. So, you will have issues trying to run the 5.7 kernel with the latest headers. You should have marked the headers and kernel packages on hold. Otherwise, the best option is to probably use the proxmox 5.4 kernel and remove the debian kernels altogether.

• I don't understand what problem you are having. The headers don't have anything to do with grub. The kernel does. And the other problem is that some plugins depend on the linux-headers-amd64 package which will only point to the latest kernel. So, you will have issues trying to run the 5.7 kernel with the latest headers. You should have marked the headers and kernel packages on hold. Otherwise, the best option is to probably use the proxmox 5.4 kernel and remove the debian kernels altogether.

right i was looing to headers and not image for linux kernel, for some reason i have only 5.9 headers and not image, i'm still using kernel 5.7 because it works with veeam backup agent, which are the main advantages in using proxmox kernele against debian?

• Offizieller Beitrag

which are the main advantages in using proxmox kernele against debian?

The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS kernel. In my opinion this is more tested than the Debian backports kernels. Also proxmox uses the Debian 10 userland. So, the proxmox kernel is a very good fit for OMV. I run it on almost all of my OMV systems.

• The debian 5.9 kernel is having problems with Nvidia drivers. ( i need to figure out how to go back to 5.8. any ideas?)

Any idea how the proxmox kernels work with nvidia drivers. Mostly used for hardware transcoding.

Thanks,

ML

• Offizieller Beitrag

i need to figure out how to go back to 5.8. any ideas?)

That will be a pain since the nvidia driver needs to compile and will need headers.

Any idea how the proxmox kernels work with nvidia drivers. Mostly used for hardware transcoding.

Since the proxmox kernel is basically the Ubuntu kernel, it should work ok.

• Thanks rye.

I'm going to restore disk image before nvidia. Nvidia was supposed to fix driver to work with 5.9 but hasn't yet. Do you know what nvidia driver works with proxmox? I know kernel 5.4 was available but getting rid of the nvidia drivers was not working. Lots of errors. Going to right to proxmox and try it.

Thanks again.

ML

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you know what nvidia driver works with proxmox?

No. I haven't installed the nvidia driver in a while (I have no decent cards).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!