Bad upload performance OMV 5 Odroid HC2

• Hello,

I already appreciate any support and guidance you may give me on my issue in my OVM 5 build. I am no linux expert, just practical know how. This is also my first SBC, and the reason I got the Odroid HC2 is to make things theoretically simpler by not having to worry about obtaining the different components to build a NAS which would have been the case with other SBCs. What I would have liked to achieve is a simple NAS Server to save my files on it over Samba, FTP or WebDav.

I’ve also gone over all search results that I have found in this forum and which I considered relevant for my case.

After all this I am still not able to identify the performance issue.

My current issue:

• Slow transfer rates (IMO) over SMB and FTP. In both cases when uploading a file I get speeds of ~40Mbps. I would have expected at least the double of this speed, ~80Mbps or even better.

My current situation:

• Odroid HC2:
      • OMV 5:
      • WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)
        • Tests:
          • hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

Timing cached reads: 1552 MB in 2.00 seconds = 776.36 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 528 MB in 3.01 seconds = 175.63 MB/sec

• dd if=/dev/zero of=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/organizar/prueba bs=1M count=1024 oflag=direct

1024+0 records in
          1024+0 records out
          1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 5.82056 s, 184 MB/s

• dd if=/srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/organizar/prueba of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024 iflag=direct
        1024+0 records in
        1024+0 records out
        1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 5.68918 s, 189 MB/s

• USB/Sata Bridge
        • Firmware: v173.01.00.02
        • Spinoff: 30 min (Spinoff is handled only by the bridge. Physical Drive properties are still unaltered and not set. This seems to be working properly after testing it, and the shutdown script included in Armbian for HC2 is also working properly)
      • Ethernet connection (1Gbps)
        • Windows 10 client over Wifi (ac).
          • Tests:
            • Iperf3 gave results over 500 Mbit/s sometimes 1 Gbps.
      • CPU Governors:
        • Currently using default configuration of OMV 5 and Armbian Buster Server: OnDemand
        • Tests:
          • Set Governor to performance: I checked that the governor was being used successfully and tried the transfer speed test again but there was not impact in the performance, I still got around 40Mbps. No difference. So I am assuming the bottleneck isn’t the governor.
      • FTP: Default configuration
        • Tests:
          • Iotop shows me the same disk write speeds that the client is showing ~40Mbps (Process proftpd)
      • Samba: Default configuration
        • Tests:
          • Iotop shows me the same disk write speeds that the client is showing ~40Mbps (Process smbd)
    • My questions:
      • So I am assuming the bottleneck isn’t the disk or the bridge or the network or the CPU governor. I haven’t attempted tweaking the SMB or FTP settings, but since I am getting the same IO speeds from both processes I am assuming it is a general issue not a process specific issue. Do you have any suggestions?

I hope I didn't miss any relevant detail.

Because of the many comments praising the Odroid HC2 as a performing OMV NAS, I was expecting the setup to be pretty straightforward, but unfortunately I’ve now come to the limits of my know how.

Thanks again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!