SMB Takes too long to start

• Hallo,

SMB service is talking about 2 minutes after startup in order to start. Is that normal?

After that it works just fine though.

• What hardware are you running? Please post full description.

My system takes about 40 seconds from BIOS to the "OMV beep" (I have installed a lovely buzzer). Boting from a USB stick.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Intel Pentium G5400

ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM

My boot device is a Crucial P1 1TB NVMe and I have 2 HDD (1TB) in Raid 1.

OPM load in seconds.... the problem is that after it loads SMB/CIFS takes too long to come up.

• Can you post SMB service logs and the configuration you have applied?

I would.... if I knew how. In the logs I only have SMB Audits which is empty and regarding the config you want to post a screenshot or my xml file?

• Try the syslog, but this sounds/appears to be networking rather than smb, if your issue is accessing an smb share.

Thank you for the fast replay.

My problem is not accessing them. It is just that it takes 2 minutes to start. After that everything works as expected. Thus I was wondering is such timings are normal or not

Regarding network.... that can be a possibility meaning that that I am using DHCP reservation and not a directly assigned IP address.

Finally I have also issues with monitoring sending emails on boot that it failed to start and then that it was successful..... something takes time to start....

So I am sending the syslog syslog.txt

• Offizieller Beitrag

The output is from the end of your syslog, disregarding the userspace your system start is under 20 seconds, is it normal for smd to take 2 minutes, no, my OMV runs from a USB Flash and takes around the same as auanasgheps does, but I very rarely reboot my server. That's why I asked about the network as smb/cifs is reliant on networking being up.

Have you added any Extra options to smb/cifs as the option to allow Local Master Browser was removed for WSDD.

If you look through the log it starts at 9:23 by 9:58 you see this;

Aug 1 09:58:07 atlas avahi-daemon[490]: Service "atlas - SMB/CIFS" (/services/smb.service) successfully established.

Further reading down the log Plex locates the shares and starts the daemon.

These 2 lines also appear in the log;

Aug 1 09:58:07 atlas avahi-daemon[507]: chroot.c: open() failed: No such file or directory

Aug 1 09:58:07 atlas avahi-daemon[490]: Failed to open /etc/resolv.conf: Invalid argument

I have seen reference to resolv.conf being a problem and related to networking in the forum, that's why I asked about networking.

• Well.... I have not touched resolv.conf.... at least not directly..... inside it, there is only "nameserver 192.168.2.1" and some comments.

For shares I think I kept is as out of the box....

Keep in mind that I did a fresh reinstallation to check out the "problem" of SMB & monitoring. I got the exact same thing without any other services like plex installed.

The only system change I did prior to mounting my volumes, was to change the openmediavault mounting template so that it would mount everything without the "nonexec" options.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only system change I did prior to mounting my volumes, was to change the openmediavault mounting template so that it would mount everything without the "nonexec" options

How did you do that

EDIT: I have just set up a raid 1 with a single share on a VM and this was the boot time;

Aug 1 10:38:11 omv5vm systemd[1]: Startup finished in 5.311s (kernel) + 15.281s (userspace) = 20.593s

OK mine isn't checking for firmware, but neither do I have a reference to local master browser in the syslog

• I edited this the following and removed the noexecs

/usr/share/php/openmediavault/globals.inc

• Here's my syslog from today, smb is pretty instant:

Code
    Aug  1 11:51:03 nas systemd[1]: Startup finished in 3.981s (kernel) + 33.930s (userspace) = 37.912s.
    Aug  1 11:51:06 nas monit[1015]: 'nas' Monit 5.26.0 started
    Aug  1 11:51:06 nas nmbd[1097]: [2020/08/01 11:51:06.224811,  0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
    Aug  1 11:51:06 nas nmbd[1097]:   *****
    Aug  1 11:51:06 nas nmbd[1097]:
    Aug  1 11:51:06 nas nmbd[1097]:   Samba name server NAS is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.101

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• This video from TechnoDadLife explains how to do it, ignore the fact that it's for OMV4 the process is the same except for omv-mkconf fstab you run omv-salt deploy run fstab

Thanks for the information.... I tried it already without any luck. SMB light stays RED until 2:03 minutes after boot.

In fact /usr/share/php/openmediavault/globals.inc has reverted back to original (probably an update). Thus I added the flag in my config.xml and run omv-salt deploy run fstab which updated my fstab and remounted my volumes.

In fact I do not care much at the moment for the noexec.... I simply had some scripts and I am running them as cron jobs.... thus all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the information.... I tried it already without any luck

That's the correct way to remove the noexec

In fact /usr/share/php/openmediavault/globals.inc has reverted back to original (probably an update)

There a re number of files in OMV that cannot be edited manually as they will revert

• That's the correct way to remove the noexec

There a re number of files in OMV that cannot be edited manually as they will revert

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. Regardless though.... this was not the cause.

• gtsitouridis did you ever find out the issue?

I have exactly the same thing happening

Im running on a nuc

If i run omv from a laptop everything comes up at the same time.

On the nuc about 2 mins before the smb/cifs dashboard light goes green

once its up everything is fine

• No, I still have the issue

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!