SMB Recycle bin is not emptied automatically

• Hello there!

I have configured my main SMB share as it follows, but the .recycle folder is not being emptied.

My server does not run h24 so I am guessing OMV wants to run the deletion when the server is off. Can somebody help?

Running OMV 5.5.4-1.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I have the exact same issue, though my system is running 24h. In fact the bin is not emptied even if I click the "Empty Now" button.

Is this your case as well?

• It seems to work correctly only when the server is running 24/7. There are a lot of similar threads on the board. For my opinion this should be somehow integrated in anacron (if it is not yet) to be executed also when the server was shutdown in the meantime.

Personally I use a script to empty the recycle bin after some days which is executed during system boot. My server is also not running 24/7.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• It seems to work correctly only when the server is running 24/7. There are a lot of similar threads on the board. For my opinion this should be somehow integrated in anacron (if it is not yet) to be executed also when the server was shutdown in the meantime.

Personally I use a script to empty the recycle bin after some days which is executed during system boot. My server is also not running 24/7.

Well in my case it does not work, while my system is running 24/7. I have a perl script in cron that does that, but I would really like to move away from home made scripts (created when I was using Ubuntu) and use the built in functionality.

• Well in my case it does not work, while my system is running 24/7.

That´s interesting! Well, in that case it should work indeed. Could it be an access rights problem?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• That´s interesting! Well, in that case to should work indeed. Could it be an access rights problem?

I am not sure.... which user should have which access on the folders?

What I did for testing was to edit the job files and run them manually to see what happens. In fact I was using some really basic troubleshooting trick to check where scripts stops (echo OK).

What I found out was that initially I had a problem with locking (many threads on that one). So I simply commented it out. At that point the scripts was indeed trying to find files / folders to delete, but I guess it was getting none or could not delete them. The test subject was a txt file created from windows and then deleted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me cleaning up the recycle dir works as expected.

For my opinion this should be somehow integrated in anacron

Anacron is executing cron.daily automatically on a standard Debian system

• For me cleaning up the recycle dir works as expected.

Anacron is executing cron.daily automatically on a standard Debian system

Do you know the access requirements in order for the builtin feature to work?

• Daily is meant to be at 00:00 every day?

Because my system does not run 24/7 but is always running at midnight.

Anyway, it seems that now it's working again, the .recycle folder has been empty since a while, but when I opened this post there were 80 GB of data in there..

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• If I use the feature Empty Now, nothing happens: I have a file sitting there for 4 days, policy is 3 and it's not being deleted.

What could I check?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!