Another OMV NAS in HP Proliant 54L

• Hello from a newbie in OMV
    I am launching my new NAS with OMV replacing my, outdated, QNAP TS209

My setup is a HP Proliant 54L with 2Gb memory and four 1TB WD HDD
    Right now I'm using the 250GB HDD that came with the 54L for the OS and three HDD in RAID5.
    When I transferred all the data from my old NAS I will add the fourth for a total of 3TB

I am also considering installing the OS on a SSD, since it is not recommended on a USB stick
    Obviously, any suggestion/recommendation is welcome.

Cheers

5.6.5-1 (Usul)
    HP ProLiant G7 MicroServer N54L AMD Turion II / 4GB
    Kingston SSDNow 200 30GB (OS), 4 x WD red 2TB SATA3 (Data)

• Hey big brother!

Congrat's to your system. :)

What I've done with my N40L: I've bought the cheapest 64-GB-SSD, that I could get. I duc-taped it onto the disconnected DVD-ROM. Works fine. Inside my little brother I got four HDDs (2x 3TB-WD-Red and 2x 4TB-WD-Red).

Tipp: Don't buy the RAC for your system. Except of booting - you're fine with the "Shell in a box"-Plugin.

• I have the n40 and I've got the os on a ssd in the optical bay and I've amounted another 3tb drive in there too so the ssd slot under it.

Then have another 4 3tb in the bays

So all in I have 5 3tb drives in raid 5 and a samsung ssd for os.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• First, Happy New Year!
    and thank you for your answers.

Finally I decided to install an SSD in the OMV.
    As OMV does not occupy much I chose the smallest I've found, a Kingston 30GB SSDNow 200:

Now installed a fourth disc and expanding the current three RAID.

5.6.5-1 (Usul)

• Did it exact the same way as Dennis. Except i got an old 250GB notebook hdd as system drive (7200 rpm). Just taped it onto the DVD drive.
    I also got a SSD for my system about a year ago. It stopped working instantly about 2 months ago. As far as I can see there is no big difference in booting or working.

• Did you tape the SSD into the slot?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Did you tape the SSD into the slot?

Yes, I chose the easy way: a "Powerstrip (C)" and fixed
    It is also easy & clean change it later.

5.6.5-1 (Usul)

• Posting some Pics of my new Desktop PC in a minute into my NAS thread. There you can see how I fixated my SSD... ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hello,

I note that these have £50 off for the month of December (total price = £139), so I too am thinking about updating - I currently have OMV running on a single disk Qnap TS-119Pii and although it does the job its a bit slow to load some interfaces and of course has no redundancy.

I note the discussion on using a SSD for the system drive. What is the prime reason for this? Speed? Energy Use? or just because it frees an additional bay for an additional drive in the RAID cluster?

I was thinking that I would go RAID 5 with 3 x 2TB drives (I think this makes sense??). I could then either put the system on an spare drive I have, or should I consider SSD?

thanks for any advice,
    C

• My N40L does have 4x 2TB drives from WD.
    I would consider to buy 3TB drives. The price is not far away from 2TB to 3TB but you can grow your Raid by additional 3 TB.

I also had an SSD for my system. I recently changed it to a 250GB 2,5" notebook drive. Do not notice a slower system or sth... Works like a charm and boots almost as fast as my SSD.

• Zitat von "scoobynz"

I note the discussion on using a SSD for the system drive. What is the prime reason for this?

In my case: Less of space. My N40L came with DVD-Player inside. So I disconnected the DVD-Player and just taped a SSD on his top.

Zitat von "scoobynz"

I was thinking that I would go RAID 5 with 3 x 2TB drives (I think this makes sense??). I could then either put the system on an spare drive I have, or should I consider SSD?

Consider a DVD. Sooner or later you may want to add a forth HDD. Than you got more things to get stuck with.

About RAID5: RAID is no backup, it is just availability. And availability is in most homeuser-scenarios not a problem. I would always prefer a internal-read-only-backup for redundancy. If you delete a file accidentally on your NAS, it would be gone with RAID5. With a internal-read-only-backup you got alway a copy of your file in your NAS.

External Backups are alway crucial for important data.

• Zitat von "scoobynz"

I note the discussion on using a SSD for the system drive. What is the prime reason for this? Speed? Energy Use? or just because it frees an additional bay for an additional drive in the RAID cluster?

In my case mainly have a bay to one HDD more, but as noted also tekkbebe low power, speed ...

5.6.5-1 (Usul)

• Thank-you all for your comments. I have decided to push the button and buy one of these, I will also get a 60GB SSD as they are only £40. I have never used a raid set-up before so I guess I have a bit of learning / reading to do, so brace yourself for another forum post(s?) in the future. At the moment my research list includes BIOS Mod, Backports, VirtualBox/VMWare, RAID/SnapRaid/ZFS . . . should be enough to keep me busy for this weekend! Thanks again for your comments.
    C

• Offizieller Beitrag

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

On ssds... low power, low heat, way fast, etc...

I know virtually everyone here disagrees with me, but I think SSD's are a bit overrated for the system drive when compared to a conventional 2.5in hard drive. Power-- They are essentially the same in most cases, with little to no difference.
    Heat -- Really no argument there, SSD wins against even the best 2.5in platter drive
    Speed -- Also no argument here, the SSD is faster unless you drop some serious coin on a 2.5in platter drive.

For me, the real question is whether that speed/performance is worth the monetary difference. The speed of the OS drive really isn't that big of a deal when running a NAS. The only time the average user will notice this, is when the machine boots up, as the SSD will obviously boot much faster. Beyond that.. if you used my NAS w/ a standard 2.5in drive vs someone else's w/ an SSD... I'm guessing you probably wouldn't know the difference unless you were doing some serious number crunching or compiling software. Even some of the cheapest SSD's w/ trim support, are gonna be in the $70 range. You can get new 80gig 2.5in platter drives all day long for $30

Both are probably better than the stock 250gig drive however..

Regardless, good luck w/ putting it all together! :)

• If we talk about a pure OS drive, you're right KM0201. But I feel that my 3.5" HDD sometimes creates a bottleneck - for me - in some situations, which not many of us would encounter. The next OS drives will be SSD based, in every system.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

If we talk about a pure OS drive, you're right KM0201. But I feel that my 3.5" HDD sometimes creates a bottleneck - for me - in some situations, which not many of us would encounter. The next OS drives will be SSD based, in every system.

Greetings
    David

Exactly

I'm talking purely the OS system drive. Obviously the 3.5in drives it's a whole other story. I imagine performance gains in an SSD vs 3.5in platter drive would be significant. However, then you have to wonder about cost per gb. It's going to be considerably higher on an SSD. At that point, you have to consider if the SSD's other benefits (low power, faster, etc..) outweighs the fact you will probably spend almost triple the amount of money for a (example) 1tb worth of SSD's vs a 1tb platter drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!