OMV Volumes verkleinern/vergrößern

• macom danke, habe ich gemacht

OMV 5.5.23-1 (Usul), Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64, Debian

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• noch hat sich nichts getan

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• Hallo Leute, leider habe ich immer noch riesige Probleme mit meinem Volume (LVM).

Mit der Fehlermeldung hat ein User in einem anderen Thread eine Idee welche ich teste.

Leider habe ich riesige Performance und Festplattenprobleme. Ich habe nun nochmals zwei WD red plus zu meinen vorhanden WD red Festplatten hinzugefügt und das LVM damit ergänzt und eingebunden.

Soweit so gut.

Aber jetzt fallen mir extreme Performance Probleme auf und es scheinen Daten (welche ja auf alle 4 Festplatten geschrieben werden) zu fehlen. Sprich wenn ich einen Plex Film anschaue geht der nur noch halb so lang und es fehlt der Schluß. Die fehlenden Minuten sind auf den neuen Festplatten oder wie muss ich mir das vorstellen? Auch startet der NAS nicht mehr immer, Ich muss den NAS mehrmals einschalten (der geht einfach wieder aus).

• ryecoaaron  cabrio_leo: I think you are pros regarding filesystems and LVM.

I attached two additional wd red to my existing LVM (with also two wd red) and added they under LVM within OMV (see screenshot before). Therefore the hard drives are recognized by the bios/uefi and omv.

But now I have horrible problems. The NAS does not start always. I have to press the power button some times to keep the machine on (the NAS immediately went off). And, although the memory space is displayed, there are corrupted files. I think there are some parts written to each of any harddrive included by the LVM.

An example: I copied a movie (to plex) and the movie should have a length of 2h but the movie is only 1h there. Where is the rest? What did I wrong with the LVM?

Thanks a lot.

• But now I have horrible problems. The NAS does not start always. I have to press the power button some times to keep the machine on (the NAS immediately went off).

I think that is not related to LVM. For me that looks to be a serious power issue of your PC. First of all I would check the power supply of your PC. The two additional WD Red causes more load on the power supply, which could be the reason of your issue.

What happens if you remove the two new disks? Does the PC start anymore then?

Regarding your LVM problem, I can´t support you, because I never have used it. Sorry.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• For me that looks to be a serious power issue of your PC

Would agree with this root cause analysis and would try confirm with a borrowed or reused power supply in the 230/300 Watt range

PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, SALCAR Premium Ladegerät 12V 6A - 72W - Netzteil,

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Thank you. Would that be enough power (120W)

https://www.amazon.de/DTK®-Ladegerät-Netzteil-Pico-PSU-Stecker/dp/B08B85NMGH/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=DTK+12V+10A+120W+Ladegerät+AC+Netzteil+für+LCD+TFT&qid=1615237388&sr=8-1

or what would you recommend to me? It should use the piso connector.

How do you come to the 230/300watt? That is enough power over?

• Now I tested the 120W (with additionally 48W) power supply. Same behavior. I pressed the power button to turn on the machine and it went off immediately. With the second press it stays on. And after 6 oder 7 reboots the containers (with my plex mediaserver) are mounted finally.

A mount error also occurs during the boot process.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Beamformer ()

• Hi there.

The problems you describe suggest an hardware error. So we'd have to figure out that one first.

Using another power supply is a start, but you wouldn't have a proper one lying around, would you? Those picos are not always very reliable, depending on what you bought.

Your mainboard should only use about 10-15W, provided your footer is the hardware you're using. That also suggests you're using two HDDs with 12TB right? so in total your powersupply should be strong enough *if* it is a proper one.

other suggestions:

- did you check the SMART status of your drives? Are they reporting any issues?

- did you try a BIOS reset? Sometimes if a mainboard got powersupply issues the BIOS is fucked so a reset is a good way to make sure you don't have any issues there.

- did you check your RAM with memtest or similar?

Again, this is something hardware related most likely so we'd have to start to check all that first.

• Hi kwon, thanks for your response.

What is proper in your opinion? An internal power supply?

Yes, exactly I bought another power supply with 120W instead the 72W.

Coarse estimation: 4x7W + 3W + 10W for the system = 41W (therefore should be enough).

(And in my opinion the NAS starts better now, what means I didn’t have to press the power button many times as before)

I use two harddrives with 12TB and last week I attached two more 14TB disks (to the LVM). On this LVM I have two partitions (a small for backups and a large for multimedia files).

The smart status I can check via OMV GUI?

No, up to now I did not make a bios reset (by the way, I thougt about it, but can I do this without loosing all my data on the LMV?)

RAM isn’t checked up to now (because I thought I worked proper until the new data drives arrived)

Backup is on my focus since I started to build the NAS in summer last year (for the case the NAS is finished - unfortunately it isn’t). So now I have about 24TB of data without a backup.

By the way: I think these problems are related to other(s) posted here OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

There is also the name of my new power supply.

• Zitat

What is proper in your opinion? An internal power supply?

In my experience cheap picos are likely to create problems. Not necessarily the case here but one possible source of error. That's why I mentioned it. A system turning off randomly and disks possibly not spinning up... seems one good place to start.

Zitat

The smart status I can check via OMV GUI?

Or via cli. OMV GUI probably easier. Do you have experience with interpreting those values? If not feel free to post them here.

Zitat

RAM isn’t checked up to now (because I thought I worked proper until the new data drives arrived)

Again, your descriptions suggest a hardware issue, in any case it is advisable to exclude these as possible reasons for your problems.

Please check RAM with memtest. A debian-Install CD or any other that has memtest included will do. Let it run at least until you get the report, that there are no problems (over night is a good idea). If you get red warnings right away you know the RAM has an issue and needs to be replaced.

Do not let the HDDs connected during that, as long as you don't have a backup and don't know if the harddrives are indeed OK ... not a good idea.

Plus: you mentioned that you restarted your system dozens of times when it didn't boot up - also VERY bad idea. If it does not start find the problem, solve it. Especially if you do not have a backup...

Zitat

So now I have about 24TB of data without a backup.

But you do have two 14TB drives ... so it might be a good idea to use those to first do a backup?

Your data... I would *never* mess around with LVMs or any partitioning at all without a backup.

Zitat

By the way: I think these problems are related to other(s) posted here OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

Unlikely. Your system just turns off without reason. You may have more then one problem though. Fixing hardware issues or at least making sure there aren't any is the first step. Well .. doing a proper backup would be the fist step in my opinion.

• feel free to post them here

I can't interpret it but I posted it yesterday here RE: OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

I would *never* mess around with LVMs or any partitioning at all without a backup.

You are right, but with the 2 data harddrives (more or less) all was fine. The problems occur by adding the data drive 3+4.

Do not let the HDDs connected during that

can I do that without losing my LVM?

But you do have two 14TB drives ... so it might be a good idea to use those to first do a backup?

but they are already integrated in the LVM - this was my first step after installing them :(

Your system just turns off without reason.

I think it is much better with the new 120W power supply (at least the suspend mode)

• I can't interpret it but I posted it yesterday here RE: OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

This is only the SMART log for your SSD, but the problem may also be caused (much more likely actually) by an HDD. I recommend you start an extended test for each of those.

The SSD seems alright-ish, the count for unexpected powerloss is high but obviously related to your problem. The CRC errors are zero, which is the first thing you should watch. You're temperatures seem a bit high for this time of the year (unless you're based in Australia) but nothing to be concerned about especially for an SSD.

Zitat

The problems occur by adding the data drive 3+4.

I usually don't use LVMs for large datapools, but what exactly did you do?

Zitat

I think it is much better with the new 120W power supply (at least the suspend mode)

LOL You're funny.

"Better" meaning it still *does* turn off from time to time and you still don't know why?

Alright, we know the SMART for SSD, now we need that for the remaining HDDs and the RAM-check. Did you try the BIOS-reset? I'd do them in exactely this order, mainly because if one of your drives is causing the issue I'd want to know that first of all.

• If I may say so - I just scrolled through the other thread and it seems you had this problem for quite a while now - but you don't seem to want to go through the necessary steps to solve it.

You're choice, it's your data and you seem to be balancing right now with no safety-net in 20m above ground and the rope has started to swing ...

You're getting ATA errors and the system shuts randomly down... so if you do not want to lose all your data on those drives you really need to go through the diagnosis and stop turning your system on over and over without knowing what the problem is.

But again, your choice. Sometimes it's also a good experience to start with empty new drives... ;) Nothing makes humans learn faster then a bit of pain every once in a while.

• based in Australia

I'm far far away from Australia :)

SMART info HDD1

Why is the status LED for the SSD red and for the data drives green?

I usually don't use LVMs for large datapools, but what exactly did you do?

How do you realize large datapools?

I installed the LVM Plugin for OMV and added the physical volumes to a volume group to create 2 logical volumes (partitions).

Better means, the last time I restarted the NAS I only had to press the power two times (instead 6 or 7 times) :)

Usually the NAS goes to suspend at night, not completely off.

BIOS-reset

not yet, cause I'm not sure to preserve, but it should?!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Beamformer ()

• SMART info HDD2

• SMART info HDD3

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!