OMV Volumes verkleinern/vergrößern

• SMART info HDD4

OMV 5.5.23-1 (Usul), Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64, Debian

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• Zitat

Why is the status LED for the SSD red and for the data drives green?

That's a more complicated question then it may seem. SMART basically tries to estimate if a drive is going to fail by logging a bunch of statistical data as you see in your reports. However this is uncertain, as statistics are in general. So without giving you a two hour lecture on SMART values and differences on manufacturers etc. the short version is: If the SMART check says the drive may fail it really may do so soon. If the SMART check finds nothing it only means exactly that, it didn't find anything concerning but as with many tests in life, not finding a problem does not necessarily mean there is none.

False positives are rare, but a negative result of SMART just gives an indication.

So in this case it means the system thinks your SSD has a problem. That sometimes occurs with SSDs but since you have no data on the SSD, just the OS, I wouldn't worry too much for now and first check the rest of the hardware. If we find nothing else we may come back to this.

You didn't do an extended test on the harddrives though, did you? You should.

For the future: in the SMART settings in OMV you can create a job to let the drives get checked every month or so.

Zitat

How do you realize large datapools?

snapraid + mergerfs or ZFS

We're going a bit into a basic tutorial here, if you don't want to get lectured do tell. But since you ask:

- never use LVM for large data pools. If only one drive fails all your data is gone

- especially do never do it if you have no backup (which of course can never occur because we all know if you don't do backups cute little rabbits die horribly every night so we all do backups!!!)

- and never ever screw around with the LVM without backing up the data beforehand

so in other words you did a couple of things that you should never do, but now you are where you are. If it will be possible to get out of this without data loss - we'll see. But if you take anything away from this: don't mess with any filesystem without a backup.

Zitat

Better means, the last time I restarted the NAS I only had to press the power two times (instead 6 or 7 times) :)

Dude... If one of my interns would have done that I'd be hunting him through the shop with a paintball-gun...

Alright, sorry if I'm lecturing again but...

In case you have a HDD that may be failing soon (which may be your problem, we don't know yet) you make it MUCH more likely the drive fails with every time you force a restart. In other words NEVER force a drive to restart over and over if there is even just the chance it may have errors. And... again, especially if there is no backup...

Now in your case: one drive failing means all the data is gone. Thats what LVM does.

So what you do if you just start the machine over and over is you are hating your data and trying really hard to destroy it.

Zitat

Usually the NAS goes to spend at night, not completely off.

Not a good idea.

Zitat

not yet, cause I'm not sure to preserve, but it should?!

Like I said above:

1. SMART check (the extended one, your response was too fast to be able to do that unless you did it before)

2. RAM check

3. BIOS reset

4. would be unplug everything and test if the mainboard is OK (which was already suggested in the other thread.

• 1. SMART check

I scheduled a long-self test for each drive for tomorrow within the OMV GUI.

2. RAM check

I think I can do this by booting into 'SystemRescueCD' in the OMV GUI by selecting it in the kernel tab?! There should be Memtest included. But then the system boots to a promt/CLI? How to start the memtest then?

3. BIOS reset

should be possible without losing the LVM.

Not a good idea.

Not? I have a couple of computers/devises with hard drive which I always shut down, computers, Dreambox, TV, Xbox, etc.

You do not turn all these devises to off to preserve your hard drives? Whats about your electricity bill?

Parallel I will look for external hard drives for backup my data.

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• I think I can do this by booting into 'SystemRescueCD' in the OMV GUI by selecting it in the kernel tab?! There should be Memtest included. But then the system boots to a promt/CLI? How to start the memtest the

I usually just use the pxe boot or a CD lying around, but if you have neither this might work. After memtest starts you just see a blue screen checking your RAM with random tests.

should be possible without losing the LVM.

Yes. Do you know how to do that using the mainboard jumper? If not check the manual for clr cmos / clear cmos.

Not? I have a couple of computers/devises with hard drive which I always shut down, computers, Dreambox, TV, Xbox, etc.

You do not turn all these devises to off to preserve your hard drives? Whats about your electricity bill?

1. other devices are a different story, this is a NAS / server that as it seems you are using every day. So different aspects come into play.

2. you can tell OMV to spin down drives if indeed you think this is necessary, but suspending the system does not make much sense to me

3. Energy consumption should always be watched - BUT: your cpu uses max 10W under load, with RAM and mainboard etc. lets say 20W, with HDDs lets make it 50W. depending on where you live and what power prices are like this translates to max. 150 € per year. Max! This does not take into account, that drives, cpu etc. in idle use much less. So realistically we're probably talking less then 100 € total cost with 24/7. BUT - you are still going to use the system every day even if you turn it off at night. So we would have to figure the difference, and that is probably at best one third of that. So you may safe 30 €. In a whole year. Worth it? How about you just eat soup instead of meat once a week? That is much more cost effective. Or whatever else may be easy for you.

If you turn it off every night however, spin the drives up and down all the time for no reason they are more likely to fail, more errors may occur (hence this thread?) and this has not even taken into account how much time it takes for you to solve these issues then.

Now I don't know how much you earn per hour, but I do not see the point for the hassle for 30 € in a year.

If you are however very much concerned about the climate catastrophe - which you should be - invest in a solar panel. Or ten.

• kwon you do realise you could be preaching to the hard of hearing :D:D:D

LOL yeah. Sort of factored that in.

But I rarely have time to hang around in forums and since I posted a question here anyway I thought I could help out with answering a few myself. I have to admit though that my interns used to learn faster once I took out the box of rubber balls. That is significantly harder to do online.

• kwon you do realise you could be preaching to the hard of hearing :D:D:D

This one just nailed it, :D

But, as we say in Portugal, "let me put some more fuel in the fire..."

Beamformer

After searching some info about your MB, I found this on a portuguese PC Components seller. There's some interesting comment from a buyer about the services of the MB:

After translate it to English:

Zitat

Good board for low power server. Acceptable performance for what I needed (deploy a good amount of services that I usually use at home). It has a decent number of disk connections (4 SATA + USB3 available). The only problem I've encountered is that UEFI doesn't have support for legacy BIOS, and that Wake On LAN works whenever it wants (something I've perceived as quite common, by the way).

Vantagens: Reduced size, acceptable performance, low power consumption, acceptable power

Desvantagens: Does not support Legacy BIOS. Wake ON LAN doesn't always work.

Just FYI.

And the source is: this one

• Offizieller Beitrag

This one just nailed it

^^ TBH this thread and the other all come from a few problems, trying to boot from a sata card, installing debian then omv, this is only necessary if there is an issue with the hardware, and the use of LVM. Using an SSD as boot drive is a total waste, omv will boot quite happily from a usb flash drive.

'It is therefore the ruling of this the forum that the only way forward is to reinstall' using either mergerfs + snapraid or zfs, and initiate a backup procedure. Both threads are crossing over each other with no light at the end of the either tunnel.

• Both threads are crossing over each other with no light at the end of the either tunnel.

Like I said, I need my box of rubber balls. Sometimes pain is a very powerful teacher... ;)

But maybe you guys joining in has an equal effect. Let's see if he's doing now what is necessary. Otherwise we could just give him a new nick... I vote for "deafballs".

• Now I did a backup from the data drives (unbelievable long - because the NAS gives no peak performance, but I think this is another story :) )

no light at the end of the either tunnel

I think so too.

Now I did a Bios/UEFI Reset in the UEFI itself by setting all to standard values. kwon: this was not correct? I have to clear cmos?

Is suspend as bad as turning off the NAS? Then I will disable it.

But after this the NAS starts a couple of time directly (without the error from #14 - RE: OMV Volumes verkleinern/vergrößern)

The extended SMART test is not available, I'm not sure if OMV did it the right way. I have to double check.

Beside this I look after the RAM check within SystemRescueCD

• Hi there, wasn't sure you're still there.

So you do have a backup now? That's good.

I recommend to CLR CMOS. Just an experience. Especially if powerissues occur.

Is suspend as bad as turning off the NAS? Then I will disable it.

Yes. If you keep it activated every hour a furry little kitten dies horribly in a blender! And they shall haunt you in your dreams.

You still have to do the RAM test and CLR CMOS, right?

So report back once that's done. And don't forget the kittens... can you hear them screaming? I can... make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!!!

• So you do have a backup now?

yes, of my data drives, not of the system drive.

Ok, I come back with the clear CMOS and RAM test.

Ohh I can hear the kittens screaming :)

• I have the mem-test. Looks good I think.

• Ram should be fine and harddrives also. The (hardware) bios reset I have to do. I only did the (software) reset.

But since the suspend was deactivated the NAS works fine so far and I did not touch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!