New install - Created RAID OK, re-created filesystem from EXT4>BTRFS, now I just get Loading.. under filesystems tab

• First post!

I am evaluating OMV for my needs, building it on a spare system.

Hardware: z370, CPU:9600K, RAM:16GB, Storage:4xHDD, 1-SSD for OS, Network: 3 Intel NICs int+2x10G)

Install proceed as as expected.

-Fixed TZ in gui (it didnt survive from initial install for some reason.)

-Changed web admin password via console (bug is fixed but not distrubuted yet.)

-Enabled NTP as a client.

-Hard coded ipv4 configuration, no proxy required, no f/w config yet.

-Configured notification via gmail w app password (notifications not being sent yet but thats for another day.)

-Changed power-button to shutdown

-Added my commercial cert to allow for HTTPS, seems 80>443 redirection is even enabled by default.

-Installed the two plugins recommended in the techdad video (flashmemory as default, not the optional steps yet), (permreset)

-Installed the OMv-extras.org via SSH command line.

-Installed docker in its default location and portainer as default.

-My 5 disks are there as expected, data HDD at/dev/sd[a-d] and OS SSD at /dev/sde.

-Wiped, enabled write cache, enabled pm 127 with spindown disabled (for now) on all /dev/sd[a-d].

-Enabled SMART in general and on each /dev/sd[a-e.] but nothing scheduled yet. Each disk has a less than 7 day old extended SMART test in disk PROM.

Under RAID I created a 4 disk mdadm RAID5 , waited a day and it finished w/o error.

I noticed the filesystem was EXT4, but I am used to using BTRFS, so under the filesystems tab I deleted it and recreated it as BTRFS, save and apply.

Since then, when I visit the filesystems tab I just get the loading message.

Not sure what to do next.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mervincm () aus folgendem Grund: Cleaned up the text/spelling punctuation to improve readability.

• Your Post ist very hard to read.

And: Don't Tell us all the Details, but only what could bei relevant.

Anyway:

Do Not Mix mdadm RAID with btrfs

Use the btrfs RAID Levels instead.

Inform yourself about the latest Status of btrfs and RAID 5 though.

• Thank you for your feedback. I cleaned up the origional post, hopefully it is easier to consume now.

Since so little configuration was done to this brand new build, I included the buildnotes. Frankly since I was having a problem with such a fundimental item in a NAS, configuring storage, I wasn't sure what I could leave out as irrelevent.

I am not sure if you advice is intented to be in general, or if there is a problem in OMV that prevents it from working as configured.

I am coming from synology, and have had great success so far with btrfs with mdadm raid there. The snapshots, scheduled data scrubbing / self healing etc has been solid and decent performance. at that time, advice was that using MD for RAID with BTRFS on top was the safer route. Is that obsolete now, or is there something about OMV that is different in implementation?

BTRFS itself seems to have mixed opinions on its long term future, but there are still big players that trust it and use it by default. ZFS has a lot of proponents, but there are a couple items that just kill it from consideration, the lack of being able to expand in place and its performance.

RAID5's single disk redundacy has its detractors as well, but in a 3+1 with small disks its a reasonable choice. I don't need the performance advantages of RAID10, as I have mostly large requential reads and writes. It's single redundant disk does allow BTRFS to perform the self healing for bit rot, and allow me to replace a failed disk without an associated outage the vast majority of times. I am too not worried about the rare occurance of a failure during rebuild as I always have a second copy on a backup NAS anyway.

Did I miss anything big, or are those the issues you were speaking to?

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read this thread with interest, but the understanding and knowledge of btrfs is above my pay grade so I have to research, so to reply to some points.

I am coming from synology, and have had great success so far with btrfs with mdadm raid there

That is because Synology use their own implementation using DSM (which is probably an incorrect way of putting it) this is confirmed from this page

So basically what they do is to create the mdadm raid add an lvm layer then format to btrfs. I then searched for btrfs fs on mdadm, found the btrfs debian wiki not sure if it's relevant, but OMV is Debian based.

Since then, when I visit the filesystems tab I just get the loading message

Based on the above found information I believe, again this is above my pay grade, this will not work, hence your observation of the above.

However, as I have a VM running OMV5 for me to play around with, if time permits today I'm going to try this, as my virtual drives are small if it hangs I can just blow it up. :)

EDIT: Well just tried that took all of 10 mins :) this got my attention;

Under RAID I created a 4 disk mdadm RAID5 , waited a day and it finished w/o error.

I noticed the filesystem was EXT4, but I am used to using BTRFS, so under the filesystems tab I deleted it and recreated it as BTRFS, save and apply.

on my VM no file system was created just the 4 drive array so adding the file system was just a couple of clicks, which rather knocks my reply to your observation on loading. So my VM is now showing an mdadm raid formatted with btrfs

This I find odd as creating the raid does not create the file system, in fact there is a warning telling you to wait until the raid is built before creating the file system.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von geaves ()

• Did I miss anything big, or are those the issues you were speaking to?

Nothing Special about OMV. It is an General advice. I would avoid the complexity.

BTRFS Supports RAID. So you do Not News the added complexity of mdadm.

Having said that, there are scenarios, in which a RAID5 in btrfs can be unstable (unclean shutdown PLUS a failed Drive)

• This I find odd as creating the raid does not create the file system, in fact there is a warning telling you to wait until the raid is built before creating the file system.

I found it odd as well! It is entirely possible that I misunderstood something, I didn't grab a screen shot, but OMV lays it out pretty clearly.

The loading issue is gone, it seems to work now, I don't think I did anything but give up and get some sleep.

In any case I guess I can close this as my least favourite type of solution "problem disappears but no one will admit to changing anything" :)

Thank you for the link to the synology explaination. I guess I didn't understand it and oversimplified. I also appreciate the debian link, so much detail there!

I really dont want to have to buy a bunch more disks to move to RAID1 from my current R5, but if I move to OMV I just might have to. Synology seems to have a unique implementation that is solid while offering BTRFS benefits on R5. I don't know if I trust it here. Lots of advice not to.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!