Lost Access to Admin WebUI Login

• After I created some new users, I can no longer log in to the WebUI using the "admin" credentials. When I try to reset the password using "omv-firstaid" I get the following error

Code
    ERROR: Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 13] Permission denied

I can still access my other users but not the admin.

I tried to check the boot disk space and I seem to have plenty of room:

Any help is appreciated. I am a first time user with no Linux experience. Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am a first time user with no Linux experience.

I actually found the solution by gaining superuser access in SSH via sudo su, then set the admin password using passwd.

Looks like you are making progress :thumbup:

sudo omv-firstaid might have done the trick as well.

• Looks like you are making progress :thumbup:

Thank you for the kind words ;)

Zitat

sudo omv-firstaid might have done the trick as well.

I tried that first thing but got the error I quoted saying access denied. I think somehow while setting up the users, I deleted the admin account by accident. I think my complete solution after gaining superuser privilege in SSH is this:

Zitat

sudo su

usermod -a -G openmediavault-admin admin

passwd admin

The first line of code gets me access to the omv as a superuser? Then, I think the second line of code readded the admin account in the CLI. After that, I think omv-firstaid would have worked.

Is there some resources on how the users are set up in omv so I can read on it more to avoid deleting the admin account by accident? I honestly did not know what the pi user is for under Access Rights Management.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In OMV there is only

• admin: the standard user for the GUI with full access
    • root: system user with super power that can be used on the CLI
    • users created in the GUI of OMV: used for SMB and other services; if they are members of the ssh group they can ssh into the server; if they are members of the sudo group they can gain super power with sudo

If you are new to OMV I suggest you read the new user guide which is linked in my signature. It has a lot of useful information.

The pi user is a user created by the Rspberry OS. For OMV he does not have a special role. However, he is member of the sudo group and has a default password. So it is very much advisable to change the password. That is also mentioned in the new user guide.

And here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…tion/linux/usage/users.md

• Offizieller Beitrag

n OMV there is only

With OMV 5.5.5, you can add any user to the openmediavault-admin group and they will have full admin privileges in the web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

With OMV 5.5.5, you can add any user to the openmediavault-admin group and they will have full admin privileges in the web interface.

I was yutzing around with user/group management and noticed that yesterday. I didn't think I'd ever seen that group before. Is openmediavault-config new as well (don't recall that one either)?

Any particular reason for the change.

• Offizieller Beitrag

openmediavault-config has been around for a while (since 4.x days). The admin change was made since people were complaining for numerous reason that admin was the only admin user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

openmediavault-config has been around for a while (since 4.x days). The admin change was made since people were complaining for numerous reason that admin was the only admin user.

So basically to appease the masses who wanted something to complain about... :). Makes perfect sense (personally I never understood why people got so bent out of shape on users not using the webUI)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!